Fat brake pipe(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to replace the section of brake pipe that meets the upstream side of the rear flexible hose on my 1999 C2500 Suburban 5.7. Is it 1/4'' pipe I need.
(I'll have to make my own pipe here as the chances of getting a pipe off-the-shelf here in the UK or anyone to send me one from the USA are non-existent).

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this is the main feed line coming in from the front of the Burb?
Yep. It's in two parts I think and it's the rear section (that hooks up with the flexible hose) that needs replaced.
I haven't had a proper good look yet. It was marked with an 'advisory' caution for 'surface' corrosion at the last annual inspection - with the expectation that it be sorted by the next one (in August).

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

or...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a 1/4" open-end wrench and see if it fits over the tubing.

Oh, yeah. SAE wrenches are probably kinda scarce there.

In general, each wheel cylinder (including calipers) gets fed with a 3/16 tube. But since both rear wheel cylinders share plumbing from the combo valve to the brake hose...they use a 1/4 tube since it's supplying two wheel cylinders.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a 1/4" open-end wrench and see if it fits over the tubing.

Oh, yeah. SAE wrenches are probably kinda scarce there.
As elusive as the 6.35mm wrench.
Crossed my mind to measure it but a combination of restricted access for a caliper or mic allied to the accuracy of measuring a supposedly corroded pipe made asking easier.
In general, each wheel cylinder (including calipers) gets fed with a 3/16 tube. But since both rear wheel cylinders share plumbing from the combo valve to the brake hose...they use a 1/4 tube since it's supplying two wheel cylinders.
Makes perfect sense - thanks.