Fast turn signal - not the bulb!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coroner81

Reaction score
Same truck, new can of worms.
1995 Tahoe 5.7 k1500

Right turn signal works as it should.

Problem: left turn signal blinking fast.
1. Checked all front bulbs, bulbs were good, but were dim. Cleaned bulb base, and sockets.
No change.
2. Removed 4 way relay and turn signal relay, terminals clean, reseated both.
No change.
3. Removed turn signal relay, disassembled, cleaned contacts,reassembled
No change.
4. Checked tail bulbs, bottom bulb was bad, replaced it.
No change.
After checking all of this, I had a NEW issue appear, where when I turn the 4 ways on, with the truck off, my door chime also goes on and off like the 4 ways in regular intervals, but not at the same time as the 4 ways. This happens with the door open as well as closed.

Any ideas? I have no plans to ditch the truck over these issues, my main concern is retaining whats left of my sanity at this point

If anyone needs to see a video for diagnostic purposes, or just for a laugh, let me know and I'll record a short video to upload on YouTube.

Last edited:

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your ground wires, drivers side by the wiper fluid filler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know the history of your truck, but do you have LED's? You might try checking to see if all the bulbs are seated correctly... Check the grounds as well. I haven't dealt with a bad tailight board yet, but I have read that those can cause some weird symptoms when they go bad.

iggyspred

Reaction score
I have a similar situation. My right signal hyperblinks along with both reverse lights. Left side turn signal works fine, but when I mash the brakes both reverse lights come on and only the left brake light. There's no way that's the circuit board unless both decided to go bad at once, and I have a hard time believing it's a poor ground. I've done the 4-hi mod and replaced the turn signal switch a year or two ago, but I cant remember when I first noticed the hyperblink (assumed was a burnt out bulb). Any suggestions as to where to start looking would be appreciated.

Coroner81

Reaction score
Check your ground wires, drivers side by the wiper fluid filler
/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll check that on first.

I don't know the history of your truck, but do you have LED's? You might try checking to see if all the bulbs are seated correctly... Check the grounds as well. I haven't dealt with a bad tailight board yet, but I have read that those can cause some weird symptoms when they go bad.

No LEDs. I have all standard bulbs. The only thing that isn't original is I converted to the 88-89 sealed beam.
I'll grab a pick and make sure the contacts on the sockets are making a solid connection with the bulbs. The **** on the bottom of those bulbs always get worn down flat.

I have a similar situation. My right signal hyperblinks along with both reverse lights. Left side turn signal works fine, but when I mash the brakes both reverse lights come on and only the left brake light. There's no way that's the circuit board unless both decided to go bad at once, and I have a hard time believing it's a poor ground. I've done the 4-hi mod and replaced the turn signal switch a year or two ago, but I cant remember when I first noticed the hyperblink (assumed was a burnt out bulb). Any suggestions as to where to start looking would be appreciated.

I assumed it was a bulb as well. I'm not checking the boards at this point. I have a few other suggestions to check out first, I'll update here and let you know what I find, if anything.

Coroner81

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
I swapped bulbs, tested voltages everywhere, tested circuit boards, continuity, threw tools, nothing worked until I started tinkering with the socket itself.

The **** on my particular bulbs are flat, so there's a chance they weren't making solid contact with the base inside the socket. If you can pick up a new set, I'm sure it'd help.
You must be registered for see images attach

You can use a pick, or a small flat blade screwdriver to carefully bend the bottom contacts up a little.

On the side of the socket there are 2 "teeth" contacts, you can use the same screwdriver, or a pick and bend those inward. As you do that, the metal tab in the bottom of the picture pulls inward. It looks like it should lock behind a plastic tab there, but made it more difficult to insert the bulb, so I left it as is.

When you're done, replace the socket peanut butter with some fresh goop.

Markgyver

Reaction score
1157, 2057, 2357 etc... have different resistance. It could cause a fast blink issue. Make sure you have the correct bulb.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Coroner81

Reaction score
Very good point. I'm sure that might help someone out. In my case, the problem appeared out of nowhere without bulb changes.