Farmington NM 411 pcm tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wwilson

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of a tuner that does good work and knows how to work around the typical 411 swap things (crank relearn for example) on these trucks? I performed a handful of upgrades and the tuner I took it to apparently couldn't figure out the crank relearn so he just disabled the knock sensor, bypassed the crank relearn, and turned off some other things that seem like they should be on. (Used a friends scan tool to check some things and after Google searching the terms I realized why I have to run high octane all the time (approx 95-96 at 5600ft elevation, approx 9.5 or 10:1 CR) and still get pre detonation especially when pulling a trailer and really bad at lower rpm, even when not heavily loaded. I've got 4.56 gears and stock tires so mechanical advantage at lower rpms seems like I shouldn't be "heavily loaded" empty. My wideband jumps around a lot, it averages 14.7 but it jumps up to 15.5 or 15.8 constantly and won't hold a steady reading at any rpm. I also noticed my timing advance only goes up to 25 but gets there rather quickly and with no knock sensor its got no way of knowing when to back out? I might be able to get more advance on the top end with less In the bottom? I'm fairly ignorant with all of these things but it just doesn't seem right and I'd like to find someone with good reviews from a group of guys who DO know what their dealing with. I'm in northern new Mexico by Farmington. I've called around and everyone here uses this guy. But the only two people I know who have my style of truck and similar build both have overheating issues and have to run high octane as well but don't know any better. If anyone knows of a tuner within a days drive of here or if anyone has some good advice I would sincerely appreciate it. Thank you.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The timing table isn't right if you have detonation issues.

I tune a several trucks a week without knock sensors.
Get the timing table sorted out and your problems go way

wwilson

Reaction score
If you've got a WBO2 already installed, get HP Tuners and DIY.
You think it's easy enough to figure out without messing anything up? I've never programmed anything before, which is why I've been hesitant to do anything myself. I would rather learn to do it myself but afraid of the outcomes if I messed up. HP Tuners is clearly a favorite based on a quick search here. Is it truly easy enough to fumble you're way through it? (411 pcm from 2001 van in a 1996, 383 vortec with cruise, ac, etc.) None of that will matter correct? Just plug it in and Google/thread search my way through it?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think it's easy enough to figure out without messing anything up? I've never programmed anything before, which is why I've been hesitant to do anything myself. I would rather learn to do it myself but afraid of the outcomes if I messed up. HP Tuners is clearly a favorite based on a quick search here. Is it truly easy enough to fumble you're way through it? (411 pcm from 2001 van in a 1996, 383 vortec with cruise, ac, etc.) None of that will matter correct? Just plug it in and Google/thread search my way through it?

I'm probably not the best person to ask because I still haven't really tuned my project, but I have watched youtube videos (which practically makes me an expert) and the process is pretty simple. If you have a laptop and a WB02, you can do it.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is quite a learning curve to get a hold to how each table corresponds to the next and what does what.

I prefer EFI Live but I've been using it for 20 years and don't like how HPT does some stuff and their layout. But either of them will get you where your going.
Most important thing is a wideband.
2nd thing is learn how you use the scanner.
I can send you channel list and stuff if you need help figuring it out.

Getting the fuel table and MAF table are most important and then work on timing.

wwilson

Reaction score
Universal Patcher, TunerProRT, PCM Hammer and an inexpensive OBDLinkSX cable is all you need to edit, tune and datalog an 0411.
Thanks for all your replies, I'll dig into the above mentioned equipment and see if I'm feeling confident enough to take on the challenge. I might (definitely) be researching/reaching out here for some advice if I do. L31Max, I've gotten some really valuable, solid responses and information from you in the past that helped me make a decision on my build to begin with. With the things you mentioned here, did you also learn by jumping into it and figuring it out on your own? If so, we're there any specific things NOT to do, or specific areas that need extra care when tuning that would cause damage quickly? (Seeing as I have a baseline tune, and for all intensive proposes close enough to run with high octane/a light foot as a bandaid) you've built a similar setup... Now this question being just as valid for anyone else, and I'm sure there's a load of information on this site should I dig a little, but anything 411/383 vortec/stock intake - specific warnings or things to look for, would be sincerely appreciated.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, I'll dig into the above mentioned equipment and see if I'm feeling confident enough to take on the challenge. I might (definitely) be researching/reaching out here for some advice if I do. L31Max, I've gotten some really valuable, solid responses and information from you in the past that helped me make a decision on my build to begin with. With the things you mentioned here, did you also learn by jumping into it and figuring it out on your own? If so, we're there any specific things NOT to do, or specific areas that need extra care when tuning that would cause damage quickly? (Seeing as I have a baseline tune, and for all intensive proposes close enough to run with high octane/a light foot as a bandaid) you've built a similar setup... Now this question being just as valid for anyone else, and I'm sure there's a load of information on this site should I dig a little, but anything 411/383 vortec/stock intake - specific warnings or things to look for, would be sincerely appreciated.
I'm just getting into tuning too, but my biggest suggestion would be to NOT just turn off all of the protections. A lot of people will just say "turn off torque management and the knock sensors". I would suggest that you make small changes and evaluate what you've got in small chunks.