Fan clutch use and advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anybody tried this Flex-a-lite fan?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I had a similar reverse rotation flex fan on my 1980 Corvette running a TBI 305 Caprice serpentine belt system. Even with the big old 3 core radiator and the electric L82 fan it would not keep my 305 cool. Ended up using a plastic fan and clutch on it that cooled alot better. The 305 would get to 230-240 at idle with the flex fan. The plastic fan and clutch dropped it to 190-200°F. Vette was hard to cool, especially with the ac blasting.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar reverse rotation flex fan on my 1980 Corvette running a TBI 305 Caprice serpentine belt system. Even with the big old 3 core radiator and the electric L82 fan it would not keep my 305 cool.
Yeah, I had one like this from J.C. Whitney back in the early 70's on my 63 Chevy with a 289. It always ran hot even in Wisconsin. I guess it's a no go :rolleyes:

udidwht

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll hear mine at cold start for roughly 20 seconds or so then it will subside. After that not much is heard on days where the ambient temp is below 60-65F. On warmer days I will hear it at times when pulling from a stop but within a short distance it will fade off. During grade climbs it seems to start to engage at a coolant temp of ~220ish (not what the dash gauge shows) the dash gauge could be 20-40 higher...lol. This is in a 454 TBI w/4L80E

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried this Flex-a-lite fan?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Have something similar on my ford with a blueprint 306. Does not keep up when stopped in traffic. I'd recommend anything else tbh.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have something similar on my ford with a blueprint 306. Does not keep up when stopped in traffic. I'd recommend anything else tbh.
Yeah, after further research, I found out they're junk. I wound up going with the 11 blade fan and severe duty clutch.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell I ought to see if I can fit that fan on there, it's already running a chevy alternator

EDIT: Yup, fan has the same mounting as the OE ford clutch, and since the OE fan is out of production I might try this one out

Last edited: