Fan clutch staying locked on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Common 6.5L diesel upgrade is an early Duramax fan about 2002ish. It has enough drag to allow a severe duty clutch to freewheel most of the time. It moves a ton of air as well even freewheeling.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common 6.5L diesel upgrade is an early Duramax fan about 2002ish. It has enough drag to allow a severe duty clutch to freewheel most of the time. It moves a ton of air as well even freewheeling.

Is that a viable option for a big block as well?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It is a upgrade but I am not going to go that route until I have to replace my water pump. I'm not going to replace a prefectly good pump until it is not good. Mainly because its not 4 bolts a couple hoses and its off like a small block. And I may not then. I might go with the late 96 to 97 pump so that I can get the HO pump. I don't have any overheating problems so I dont really need the extra cooling a DMAX fan provides. But I will cross that path when it comes.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't be. I don't know how big the diameter of fan they use but the DMAX fan is about a inch bigger in diameter then the 6.5's and it fits in the hole the 6.5's does. And off the top of my head I don't know big the 6.5's is I think its 19"

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Duramax fan on my 8.1 in my 99 Tahoe and had one on my 350 in my 97 Express.

You must be registered for see images attach

Moved a ton of air and my ac was colder at idle then when I had Tahoe electric fans.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how do you make the ecm control the electric fans?

On the 1996 and later models (I think all, but certainly 1998) one can wire a relay to the ECU (there's an unpopulated pin in one of the connectors which can be dedicated to controlling an aux fan relay), and then re-program (aka "tune") the ECU to control the relay and hence fan.

The "tunable" control parameters are (from memory):

(1) high and low speed thresholds -> cause fan to be enabled (e.g., speed is less than low-speed threshold) or disabled (speed greater than high-speed threshold)

(2) high and low engine temp threshold -> turn on aux fan if engine temp greater than high-temp threshold, turn off if less than low-temp threshold, and I believe only if conditions from (1) enable it

(3) AC high pressure switch closed -> triggers aux fan on, and I believe only if conditions from (1) enable it

(4) Plus a few others of similar function

See the attached images from JET's DST tuning tool for a 1998 L31 ECU config.

Attachments

• JET DST Fan feature enable in ECU 1.jpg
    JET DST Fan feature enable in ECU 1.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 20
  • JET DST Fan config parameters.jpg
    JET DST Fan config parameters.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the 1996 and later models (I think all, but certainly 1998) one can wire a relay to the ECU (there's an unpopulated pin in one of the connectors which can be dedicated to controlling an aux fan relay), and then re-program (aka "tune") the ECU to control the relay and hence fan.

The "tunable" control parameters are (from memory):

(1) high and low speed thresholds -> cause fan to be enabled (e.g., speed is less than low-speed threshold) or disabled (speed greater than high-speed threshold)

(2) high and low engine temp threshold -> turn on aux fan if engine temp greater than high-temp threshold, turn off if less than low-temp threshold, and I believe only if conditions from (1) enable it

(3) AC high pressure switch closed -> triggers aux fan on, and I believe only if conditions from (1) enable it

(4) Plus a few others of similar function

See the attached images from JET's DST tuning tool for a 1998 L31 ECU config.
That’s the way it’s done.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are the parameters of a stock fan. Kick in at temp. ,disengage at speed etc....?
Good question I do not know for sure but I'm sure it is not as low as 90 degrees. I will have to look it up to be sure.