Fan clutch staying locked on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm not super pleased with Hayden. My fan moved around a bit, so I assumed it was slightly bent and I replaced it, since it was heavy any way. The plastic one still moves around. I'm also on the second Hayden fan clutch. A few weeks ago, I let the truck heat up, and I could see the fan slowing down, do I grabbed it and stopped the fan. It's the cluth itself wobbling around even though it's not sloppy, it just seems not to be made to spin straight.... more of an "orbit".

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the pilot hole in the clutch, that the pilot on the water pump shaft fits into, the correct size?

Some clutches have large pilot holes that work with some applications, and a bushing that's inserted in the hole for use with a smaller pilot on the water pump if needed. Failure to use the bushing on a small-pilot water pump would result in a fan that doesn't spin true.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is the pilot hole in the clutch, that the pilot on the water pump shaft fits into, the correct size?

I do not remember, for sure. I don't recall seeing any rings included with either of the new Hayden clutches, Though.

I'll have to look at the thing while running again. I don't think the fan is staying in the same plane, but is tilting back and forth. This thread makes me want to try the GM OEM clutch that I see is still availble on Rockauto and Amazon..... Rockauto calls it a Heavy Duty and fits all the trucks 1500-3500, so it may not truly be what the truck came with originally, Though.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After reading mixed reviews for Hayden, I went with the GM fan clutch for my 98, they do not even make the Z82 option sized one.
I am guessing there is no longer a GM one available for a 95 diesel ? If not you might see if you can get a working one from the yard or even ebay.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you double check the gear ratio of the truck vs the ratio the clutch calls for.
None of the listings make a difference on the clutch on my application.
(2) If the vehicle does have AC, consider the HD clutch in order to (a) keep the high-side pressures lower and (b) provide acceptable AC performance. As noted in (1), a less "heavy" clutch may (or may not) be acceptable. Alternative: Use a "weak" clutch on the fan and put an aux electric pusher in front of the condenser to lower the AC high-side pressures / improve cooling (the "aux fan" option on the GMT400s is well known and those fans are still available on RockAuto... not the highest quality fans, but they're there).
I would do that option but I don't really know where I would put a aux pusher fan. Theres a lot "coolers" in the cooling stack on a 6.5. Instead of the the oil cooler being in the rad it has its own cooler. The trans has a aux cooler as well. It fills the space up pretty good behind the grill.
is it possible your car is over-heating?
If it is I have no indication of it. Temp runs 185-195 verified with scan tool.
After reading mixed reviews for Hayden, I went with the GM fan clutch for my 98, they do not even make the Z82 option sized one.
I am guessing there is no longer a GM one available for a 95 diesel ? If not you might see if you can get a working one from the yard or even ebay.
As far as I have found I cannot find a new GM one. Yards around me have plenty of gassers but no diesels.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was doing some digging around and I have found one receipt and the clutch I bought last was a hayden 2831 and it looks like that is what most of the li. And from what I can find is the oem part number crosses to a Hayden 2839. But going by the pictures of the 2 the 2831 has 6 fan mouting holes and the 2839 has 4. So I have no idea what is going on.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm noy sure about diesels but I love electric fans controlled by the ECM. Less noise and definitely better engine performance. I don't know what the newer diesels have on them.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm noy sure about diesels but I love electric fans controlled by the ECM. Less noise and definitely better engine performance. I don't know what the newer diesels have on them.
As far as I know they are still engine driven. The 2019 F550 I have have as a service truck is engine driven. I had a 14 Dodge and it was engine driven as well. The ECM in my truck is to "dumb" to control a fan unfortunately