Fair price for truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might be able to get someone to give you that. But you going to have to make it perfect.
Maybe in Florida but not here in Ohio. When I was looking to buy one I searched for 2-3 months to find a nice one. I went to West Virginia to buy this one.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was in the retail car business for years and two things you learn fast; (1) something is only worth or is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, auctions work great for determining this, and (2) there is a butt for every seat :biggrin: I go to Barrett Jackson auto auction ever year in Scottsdale and in the last few years the number of old trucks in all states of repair have increased dramatically and so have their prices. Even mid 80's GM trucks can easily be $20k for nothing great. I suspect in the next 10 years the GMT400 will start to see a significant increase in value (as soon as all the landscaper's trucks crap out :biggrin:).

I brought my Dad's 1990 GMC K1500 SLE extended cab with 350 and F44 HD option back to Arizona from Pittsburgh last year because it was my Dad's and it only had 38k miles on it when I started back. Since it was part of the estate I had to get values on it and three dealers' cash offers averaged $600 (each salesman was eager to pay more on the side) as it has some body damage and my Dad was a little hard on the exterior with dings, scratches, etc. The interior is perfect. He never used it in the winter, he bought it to tow the boat, and it was always garage kept. The underside does have a patina of rust due to the high humidity in Pittsburgh. It also had the original 30 year old tires on it. The fourth dealer which he originally bought it from offered $4,000. I suspect either they wanted it to keep it and display it as it had the original window sticker, license plate frames, and other dealer bumper stickers or they already had a customer looking for this particular truck.

In the year I've had it I've put well over $4,000 into it. Started out with basic tune up and all fluids changed but eventually I ended up replacing or repairing everything that rotates as my Dad hadn't even started it in the last 4 years he was alive. Everything didn't go bad at one time but I was really lucky to drive it 3,000 miles from Pittsburgh to Arizona without one issue. Definitely replace the headliner and sun visors. Mine only cost $160 with me taking them out and putting them back in. I already had the interior panels out putting new speakers in. The headliner was fine when I started out from Pittsburgh but with the windows open and the wind buffeting the interior the liner started to sag.

Here is a similar recent post:
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/wow-does-this-make-ours-worth-more.47630/
When I started looking for a truck I found quite a few for $2000 to $4500 but they all needed too many things fixed or replaced. I like to buy one that doesn't need fenders, rockers or quarter panels replaced because in the end you have as much money, or more in it as one that cost more to begin with. That is my thinking on it, just a personal preference. I bought mine in September 2014 and I've only put 9000 miles on it. It goes in storage usually in September or October and doesn't come back out till March or April. I started out looking for a standard shift but I only found one and it was trashed. It would have cost at least $8000-$9000 to get it presentable.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
For a truck like that in the Midwest, 5-8k all day long. But down South or west coast SE coast, not so much, since most are rust free, so there's not really a high demand. Like others have said, us Midwesterners have to pay a premium for old rust free trucks, since they are more rare than your typical old rust bucket, that may still bring in a couple thousand. I think it's dumb how you can buy the same truck, rust free from the south or west coast, for a similar price of a rust bucket here in the Midwest.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
these truck\s and most trucks in general are climbing in value very fast. dont give it away. I say 4800 to 5500 would be a good range.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
these truck\s and most trucks in general are climbing in value very fast. dont give it away. I say 4800 to 5500 would be a good range.
I wouldn't consider selling it for $ 5500. There's a guy that offered me a lot more than that but he destroys everything that he has owned and I would hate to see him ruin this truck. I know once it's sold I have no say what the new owner does with it and I shouldn't care. I guess it's a flaw in my DNA or something.

Mwagz21

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider selling it for $ 5500. There's a guy that offered me a lot more than that but he destroys everything that he has owned and I would hate to see him ruin this truck. I know once it's sold I have no say what the new owner does with it and I shouldn't care. I guess it's a flaw in my DNA or something.

Patience is a Virtue. Like all others said- fix the minor repairs, keep it polished and posted and you’ll eventually get what you want, or just a tad less and that has to be fine or else you shouldn’t sell it.

Personally I’ve read the OBS Articles that say hold on to them. The time is coming for the value to skyrocket....funny thing is- by that time we will have flipped the paradigm because we won’t be selling our trucks- only finding the suckers that have them for sale so we can stock up our sheds with the sickest trucks GM ever made!

Matt

For sale- not ON Sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you're hurting for the money or just want to move on to something else, I'd keep the truck. I'd fix whatever cosmetic things it needs, which doesn't appear to be much and keep it put up and drive it periodically to keep its legs stretched. Here in southeastern Oklahoma, these trucks aren't fetching crazy prices, especially 2wds. I've seen some really, really nice examples go for 4-4500. More miles, but similar condition as yours. But as previously mentioned, the day will come where these will become highly sought after. Especially ones that haven't cut up and modified to death.