Factory radio swap?

Discussion in 'Audio + Electronics' started by nhyrum, Feb 27, 2019.

1. jnewkirk77

jnewkirk77 Newbie

Not sure on wiring in the CD player; my Cheyenne didn't have one, so I just use the cubby that's there for stashing my phone charging cord (which plugged neatly into the USB port on the back of the radio) and the little remote the radio came with.

As far as installation, I reused the Scosche harness, antenna adapter and dash kit I used for the previous radio. It's all the same grade of stuff you can get at Wally World or wherever. Nothing special. I had no issues to speak of with installation.

The old Blaupunkt company went out of business a few years ago, and some Chinese firm bought the name rights. I wouldn't put these up against the quality of the older units, but compared to some of the stuff you see at Best Buy for under $100, these are a much better buy.

Sorry, no pics yet. I'll see if I can snap one tomorrow before I head in to work.

2. jnewkirk77

jnewkirk77 Newbie

OK, here you go:
    20190521_225152.jpg Overall, it's a decent fit and it looks nice.
    20190521_225430.jpg It has a small but functional remote.
    20190521_225956.jpg The lighting is soft, blends OK with the other dash lights.

3. scottydl

scottydl Newbie

Awesome thanks for the info and pics. All the OEM stuff is still in my Burb so I don't have any aftermarket harnesses or dash bezels yet.

jnewkirk77 likes this.
  4. jnewkirk77

jnewkirk77 Newbie

My pleasure! I'm always glad to help where I can.

I got my parts from Amazon, super cheap that way, although this stuff still cost more than the radio. (HA!) And I was wrong on the brand, I used Metra for everything, the dash kit, harness and antenna adapter. Here they are:

Metra 99-3002 dash kit
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029X1LO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 70-1858 harness
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEX8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 40-GM10 antenna adapter
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEQN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to use Scosche stuff in the past, but I don't know if there's really much difference in the stuff you get on Amazon and what you find in the store, aside from Amazon being considerably cheaper.

5. scottydl

scottydl Newbie

For this vehicle and its purposes, I'll take the cheaper options no problem. I ordered an Amazon Warehouse listing of the radio for $11.52... unbelievable! I spend that much on lunch some days. And I just got everything else for mounting/wiring for around $21 combined.

It's like the $10 lawnmower I bought on Craigslist at the end of last season when my other one broke down unexpectedly... I figured if this thing works for more than 1 mowing session, I got my money's worth. And it's still going!

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    jnewkirk77 and Oldblue98 like this.