Factory radio swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnewkirk77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What?! How is that price even possible?? I mean, Blaupunkt is even a brand I've heard of that used to put out decent car stereo equipment (back when I was into that sort of thing).

Any comments on the installation, i.e. wiring harness or other parts needed? With BT, aux in, SD card, USB... there's really no need for CD player, but I wonder if the factory "slave" CD unit could be wired in.

Post a pic if you have one!

Not sure on wiring in the CD player; my Cheyenne didn't have one, so I just use the cubby that's there for stashing my phone charging cord (which plugged neatly into the USB port on the back of the radio) and the little remote the radio came with.

As far as installation, I reused the Scosche harness, antenna adapter and dash kit I used for the previous radio. It's all the same grade of stuff you can get at Wally World or wherever. Nothing special. I had no issues to speak of with installation.

The old Blaupunkt company went out of business a few years ago, and some Chinese firm bought the name rights. I wouldn't put these up against the quality of the older units, but compared to some of the stuff you see at Best Buy for under $100, these are a much better buy.

Sorry, no pics yet. I'll see if I can snap one tomorrow before I head in to work.

jnewkirk77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here you go:
You must be registered for see images attach
Overall, it's a decent fit and it looks nice.
It has a small but functional remote.
The lighting is soft, blends OK with the other dash lights.

jnewkirk77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the info and pics. All the OEM stuff is still in my Burb so I don't have any aftermarket harnesses or dash bezels yet.

My pleasure! I'm always glad to help where I can.

I got my parts from Amazon, super cheap that way, although this stuff still cost more than the radio. (HA!) And I was wrong on the brand, I used Metra for everything, the dash kit, harness and antenna adapter. Here they are:

Metra 99-3002 dash kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029X1LO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 70-1858 harness
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEX8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 40-GM10 antenna adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEQN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to use Scosche stuff in the past, but I don't know if there's really much difference in the stuff you get on Amazon and what you find in the store, aside from Amazon being considerably cheaper.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For this vehicle and its purposes, I'll take the cheaper options no problem. I ordered an Amazon Warehouse listing of the radio for $11.52... unbelievable! I spend that much on lunch some days. And I just got everything else for mounting/wiring for around $21 combined.

It's like the $10 lawnmower I bought on Craigslist at the end of last season when my other one broke down unexpectedly... I figured if this thing works for more than 1 mowing session, I got my money's worth. And it's still going!

Last edited:

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What model is that? I'd love to find a decent double DIN head unit (used is fine) that fits & wires in the factory spot without a bunch extra equipment needed.

My driver door speaker is starting to rattle too so I think it's blown. I always thought this factory system sounded pretty decent... except for volume always cutting out because of the bad connections in the factory head unit.

Gmt400's never came factory w/ a double din radio.
The early years had a funky 4x4in radio w/ the ability to install a single din radio in the center of the dash.
The 95+ have a 1.5 din radio. The dash needs to be clearenced to fit a 2din radio. The bezel needs to be modified or replaced w/ an aftermarket market unit (pricy). The amount of clearancing/modifying will vary w/ ea headunit.

There are several threads around w/ people who have done this.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Cool.

Secondary thought. Is the CD deck in the head unit? Or does it go below in the little cubby hole?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The factory CD player goes in the cubby under the HVAC controller. Both my Burbs have had them. But like any factory radio that's bounced around in a truck on crappy roads for 20 years, the internal soldered connections are prone to coming loose. Had both units (radio/cassette deck and CD player) rebuilt in the first truck. Second truck 's has quit working, so will be swapping in the ones from the first truck after it was wrecked. Just need a couple days where the weather is nice and l don't have anything else to do....gotta change the HVAC controller too and trouble shoot the blower and so forth

RPO677

Reaction score
Quick clarifying question.

If installing an OE CD player for use with an existing OE radio (non-Bose, non-CD/cassette) is there a separate harness that needs to be obtained or is the "slave" OE CD player a pug and play install with the existing harness? I can't locate a dash harness schematic.

I need to reconnect the antennae to my radio and since I'm digging into the dash I may as well add an OE CD player while at it and want to ensure I have what I need to complete the install. Thank you.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If you're talking about a 95+, you need a harness that has 9 wires on each end, one end plugs into the back of the stereo, the other end into the CD player. This only works on the stereos with the tape/aux button as well.

RPO677

Reaction score
Thank you. It's my 99 Suburban. Sounds like I need to scare up a harness and maybe an upgraded OE radio then as my radio is a base am/fm.