Fabricating new headliner backer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone made up their own headliner backer panel? I like the look of the new abs plastic ones but I'm having trouble stomaching spending nearly $600 on trim.
I figure I can mess around with making my own for quite a while before it costs more to just buy one.
The truck's a '95 reg cab, if it makes a difference.
Thanks!

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to a local u-pull-it today looking for some other parts and checked out the headliners while I was there.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a grey interior with a good 1/16" of mold, the nicest headliner in the yard. I'm not a squeamish guy, but I'd rather not touch this.

Glad I made my own instead!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I went to a local u-pull-it today looking for some other parts and checked out the headliners while I was there.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a grey interior with a good 1/16" of mold, the nicest headliner in the yard. I'm not a squeamish guy, but I'd rather not touch this.

Glad I made my own instead!
Is that mold, or the "fur" off the fabric and the adhesive used during assembly? It looks disgusting, I wouldn't want to mess with it either!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
While you're probably right, do be aware that the old foam that used to line the back of the headliner fabric, which glues to the headliner board, often resembles sticky, gross mold once the fabric falls away. That's the crud you're (gently) scrubbing off the headliner board with a wire brush before applying glue and new fabric.

Richard