Fabricating leaf spring hangers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greenz97

Reaction score
Hey I am planning on doing a sas on my truck and was looking at the different options for buying the leaf spring hangers. I noticed the cheapest i could find for front and rear hangers was about $550-$600. I get why they charge this much with the time and labor spent perfecting it. but I cant help but think I could weld together 4 brackets and buy some bolts for far less than $600. Does anyone know if there are designs online or if i would just have to figure out the dimensions myself. Thanks

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll start off by saying I know nothing about SAS and was surprised by the cost you were seeing thinking why would leaf spring hangers cost so much. So I did a little online searching to see what was involved and found a few complete kits in the $500-600 range.

I did find this company selling their front and rear mounts available separately. But I agree, for anyone with some basic fabrication and welding skills along with the tools it would seem this could be built for less as a diy.

For example, using these pre-fabbed brackets and combining with some 2x3 or 2x4 tubing could result in a similarly functional front mount. Possibly a second set for rear hangers, along with some shackles?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t really need to get crazy fancy with hangers. I think DIY4X has mounts that have an adjustable spring location, could use 4 or those. Front would be simple, rear would just take some fab’n. But, for 5-600 bucks, with either ORD or DIY4X, both are worth the money, and are very well built….

greenz97

Reaction score
considering the DIY4X ones are almost 700 dollars I guess ORD is my best option

greenz97

Reaction score
Bringing back this thread with another question because a SAS fell off my list of projects. Is it fine to use a rear hanger with the shackle? I have a buddy with a square body and he had some extra hangers and they fit on the frame rail where you would need the for the rear hanger mounts on the front.

Hobagger

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you have going on but I bought some 2” DOM that fit a yj jeep shackle bushing. Then a piece of 3/8” x 2 1/2 flat bar it’s for a &3 jeep scrambler. Put in a bunch of pictures of what I have going on. The smaller one was the first one I boxed in and when I took it off it was falling apart. I believe it’s cast or heat treated. So there you go. Not sure if it helps but I figured I would throw it out there.

Attachments

• IMG_8218.jpeg
    IMG_8218.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8213.jpeg
    IMG_8213.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8212.jpeg
    IMG_8212.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7546.jpeg
    IMG_7546.jpeg