Eye Candy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For anyone still curious - I decided to go with a Cunningham shaft because of lack of availability for the C3500 shaft. So the CM shaft and Redhead steering box are now installed and sitting in their new home. I had a horrific time trying to pop the idler arm out of the center link, by far the hardest part.

WOW what a difference. The biggest difference is the ease of making turns and not feeling drag or anything from the box. Replacing the box and the shaft kind of skews the difference that the shaft itself makes, but I am going to install one into my truck with the factory box, that's when it won't be biased.

Tell ya what it did best - tell me exactly how back the truck is out of alignment. It has a "darting" effect at speeds on the highway (won't track straight), which I am assuming is 100% the poor alignment, the wheels are cambered damn near 45 degrees from when it got new idler / pitman arms a few weeks ago.

I am waiting to get it aligned to truly know how well this setup works and if I installed everything correctly. Right now I am in it for right around $500.

Edit: I don't think 'darting' is the correct terminology. Basically, it goes exactly where you put that wheel, but won't straight back up and will keep in that direction.

Last edited:

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Poor "return-to-center"?

First suspect is excess negative caster, or lack of positive caster. This assumes that the steering isn't binding--and I've heard of that happening with replacement steering boxes.
Yessir that's what I'm looking for. They bind up internally? Anyway you'd be able to tell?

vaquero

Reaction score
So far still happy with the results. Nice n tight and with no hands on wheel, it still tracks straight.
How do you feel about those leaf springs you bought? I probably need to replace mine, they are the originals and don't have much spring left in them lol. Any reason you went with autoandtrucksprings.com over another company?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone considering Cognito braces.
You must be registered for see images attach

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For anyone considering Cognito braces.
You must be registered for see images attach
Of course I start getting ready to save for front end work on both of my trucks and this **** happens.

Has anyone been able to locate any more of the Super Steer bell crank? Everywhere I've looked has said NLA.