Exterior door handle swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a 1994 Sierra ECSS, and the door handles on mine are black and glossy and I'd like to change them to the textured style of the 95-98 trucks. I was looking at a 1996 RCSB that my neighbor just bought and realized the door handles were just a bit different, they were textured and imo looked and felt a lot better, I did some research on the two handles and it turns out that they have different sized locks, but it seems that everyone did the 95-98 to 88-94 swap, but I haven't been able to find anything out on the 88-94 to 95-98 swap yet. My exterior door handles right now are cracked, scratched, and have been beaten over the last 27 years, so it'd be nice to get some new handles on, and I think the later handles look and feel much better.

So anyways, will the older lock fit in the newer handle? And if not, then how hard would it be to swap the ignition on my old column to the newer style so that I could just have one key? Or, alternatively, are there any aftermarket handles that have the textured style but are made to work with the older locks? Basically, what will I have to do to make this swap work?

Thanks for any and all help!

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
My 92s are the smooth finish ones and I haven't had to replace them. my 98 have the textured and have broke twice. never thought of that till I read your post.... wonder if others have experienced the same or just a fluke