Extending the range of your truck's keyless entry, via the module.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It takes away from beer-drinking time?

Seriously though, mine is still fine. I haven't started messing with the box yet to add features. Haven't had the time. Too many vehicles to maintain, and have a kid now.
I hear ya man, time is worth more than gold these days. Thanks for the original write up, really solved my frustrations with the horrible stock range (also modified my remote). How did you first learn of this?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya man, time is worth more than gold these days. Thanks for the original write up, really solved my frustrations with the horrible stock range (also modified my remote). How did you first learn of this?

I can't remember where I first saw the image identifying the antenna on the module itself, but once I saw that I knew putting a small wire on the tab would extend the signal range.

There is likely a way to turn up the amplifier a bit to pick up the signal if it's a little weak, but I doubt that'd help considering how small the antenna and transmitter is and how tucked away the module is in the dash.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Science says that holding the keyfob to your head or chin uses your fluid filled noggin like an antenna and boosts it's range. Just going to throw this out there! lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Science says that holding the keyfob to your head or chin uses your fluid filled noggin like an antenna and boosts it's range. Just going to throw this out there! lol

I've tried this with several different vehicles including my trucks, it works. I remember seeing the episode of Top Gear that the man in the video references years ago.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I's never helped me.

And biological material absorbs RF. Doesn't matter if your skull is projecting the signal, if the receiver can't pick it up, it's pointless.

German_AC

Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but did you tested the rear hatch mod?

When I replaced the batteries of my remote I found that the rear button is there on the board, so I was wondering if it would be possible to activate that function. The thing I'm not sure off is the fact that in my Tahoe the hatch actuator only works with the vehicle with the key in the run position and the parking brake applied. I don't know if the remote module will overrun those conditions so you can open the rear hatch without even opening the truck.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't. I haven't had the time to do it. I think it would work though, as that was the intended function. I'd suppose it'd work similar to a car, where you can pop the truck without having to unlock the car.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did some playing with a truck I was working on, the module I used came from a 91 c3500, but I found there were actually 4 functions you could use from the remote. Lock, unlock and 2 that weren't being used. Holding the unlock button added one and holding the lock and unlock at the same time was another.

I used it with some relays to make a remote start system with the factory key fob. Holding both buttons would start it and holding the unlock button would shut it back off. I also had it die if someone pressed the brake without inserting the key. I never thought about increasing the range though.

German_AC

Reaction score
Well, interesting results. Today I went to my Tahoe (Grand Blazer, made in Argentina) and to my surprise the wires on the module and the convenience center were already there. So, I opened the remote and pressed the trunk contact and voilá, the hatch release mechanism worked!
So, I made a "home-made" button, drill a little window on the fob front cover and that was it. I now have a working hatch remote.

I can not understand why in the hell GM Argentina didn't provide the correct fob if all the other parts were already installed in the truck. Unbelievable!

View media item 32126View media item 32125View media item 32124

Last edited: