Extending the range of your truck's keyless entry, via the module.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

A lot of us have gone through our fobs looking to gain an extra few feet of range to unlock the doors of our trucks. I did the mod myself to my fob, and found it barely did any good at all. So, for a couple of years I've been putting this off, but I got this done in about an hour. Its stupid simple.

First, any keyless entry module from a Pickup to a 'Burban is the same. (Bonus info at the bottom)

So, lets mod our module:

Tools:
Soldering gun
Solder/flux
15mm socket w/ short extension and ratchet
9/32" socket
1/8" drill bit
8' or so of 22ga wire
small flat blade screwdriver

First off, it is attached to the steering column support on the passenger side behind a black plate. Its held on with 3 screws. The screw most-forward can stay threaded in as the plate slides in between the bolt head and frame.
You must be registered for see images attach

Lift up the rear, slide it toward the rear, and down it comes. You'll need your screwdriver to remove the retainer tab so you can take the module out (not pictured).

There are two tabs on one end of the module. Unclip them and the clamshell will open. The guts will then slide right out. You'll see a wire in the shape of a "w" (Or an "m", or whatever). Look for where it terminates on the board.

Solder about 8" of wire to this point.

Drill a hole in the shell with the connector boss. This is where you will feed your wire through.

At this point, you can install your module again. Route the rest of your wire either into the upper portion of the dash, or into the A-pillar and into the headlinder. I voted headliner.

All that's left is to connect your two runs of wire under the dash and your DONE! Enjoy it!

BONUS INFO!

So, I was curious why there would be 3 relays on the board and what they powered. After digging around in my shop manual it turns out that all modules have the function to actuate a rear hatch release or door lock. So, in the future I will be adding auto-up/down modules to my pickup. I will try to figure out how to use the entry module's rear hatch output to roll down my truck's windows then.

So take a look:
The module on top is my OE module, the one on the bottom was my test mule. The mule came from a 'burban but I noticed that the guts of them both are the exact same.

The connector has provisions to wire a terminal to the module's output pin.

For those that are all about that factory look, here's the corresponding place that wire goes.

Stay tuned for more!

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Let me know how the range works, We did this to the earlier 95-96 style and the range basically fell on it's face. Not sure on that style but the antenna might be tuned to a particular frequency.

You basically beat me to the punch on some of this though, I was planning a couple things on my module similar. I'm curious to see where you go with it!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was having some weird problems with wireless tow lights on the wrecker, and the transmitter has a short length of wire on it as the antenna. I asked the support guys about extending the wire or possibly tying it to the steel wrecker body in hopes of increasing its range; they said in no uncertain terms, don't do it. Not saying this applies to all scenarios but in this particular case they were against it.

Richard

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the both of you.

There is a pot on the board. I can assume that's for tuning of the system albeit for receiver's frequency or antenna gain. Have a few pics of the layout but need to lookup some of the components.

Either way Dave, I'm able to unlock my truck from about 60' away, on the driver and passenger sides. Passenger side had my bronco blocking it as well.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's better than mine is, that is for sure.

I'm just really, really spoiled by my other trucks, the RF 2-way aftermarket system works really well.

X2. Neat project here and I'm glad you followed through with it, but my aftermarket systems can start/lock the trucks from all the way across any parking lot I've ever tested it in. Sometimes even through buildings. For as cheap as they are these days it's hard not to go aftermarket.

Sweet work, though.

Side note... Any time I think of adjusting potentiometers it brings me back to modding the original PlayStation consoles. About a quarter turn to the left or right from factory position on the laser pot would allow the system to read burned discs.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tested out the range a little more today. I used a measuring wheel and walked 100' away... and it still locks/unlocks the doors!

I meant to do a test earlier this morning so I could see when the interior lights came on, but I had to finish machining a part.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I tested out the range a little more today. I used a measuring wheel and walked 100' away... and it still locks/unlocks the doors!

I meant to do a test earlier this morning so I could see when the interior lights came on, but I had to finish machining a part.
Awesome! I'll be curious the outcome if you mess with the board more.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just did this mod to my truck by adding six feet of wire to the box and running it the same way OP did. My tange increased from ~15 feet to about 200 feet. Is there any downside to doing this mod?

It takes away from beer-drinking time?

Seriously though, mine is still fine. I haven't started messing with the box yet to add features. Haven't had the time. Too many vehicles to maintain, and have a kid now.