Extended crank when warm or hot on crate GM L31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fragment

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I definitely don't have anything like that. Are you still talking about a GMT-400?
Oh, that probably eaplains it. The SUVs are a little different here and there.
Does your vent line run to the center barb on the fuel pump module? I think that’s how my pickup is.
Anyways… fuel issue solved. Extended cranking is not unfortunately.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does your vent line run to the center barb on the fuel pump module? I think that’s how my pickup is.
Anyways… fuel issue solved. Extended cranking is not unfortunately.

Yes, I have a single line that runs to the pump.... I don't recall which connection it is on the pump, but probably the center. Too bad you're still getting an extended crank.... when I replaced my pump, my extended cranking went away. Have you checked fuel pressure? Not only was my pump wearing out, but I suspect my electrical connection was bad. I replaced the pig tail with the 2nd design, and made sure of my ground.

Fragment

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I have a single line that runs to the pump.... I don't recall which connection it is on the pump, but probably the center. Too bad you're still getting an extended crank.... when I replaced my pump, my extended cranking went away. Have you checked fuel pressure? Not only was my pump wearing out, but I suspect my electrical connection was bad. I replaced the pig tail with the 2nd design, and made sure of my ground.
Yeah it’s got the new conmection. Have checked the fuel pressure countless times and have put two different Delphi pumps in there. Have even run two temporary wires to battery for pump. Same old story. It just seems so much like a leak down problem… but it isn’t.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have appropriate fuel pressure DURING the long-crank problem?

Do you have RPM signal showing on the scan tool, DURING the long-crank? How about actual spark on a spark-tester calibrated for HEI?

Fragment

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have appropriate fuel pressure DURING the long-crank problem?

Do you have RPM signal showing on the scan tool, DURING the long-crank? How about actual spark on a spark-tester calibrated for HEI?
The fuel pressure is 58-56 when cranking all the time. Hot or cold.

I used a spark tester with the gap set at 25 (is that what you mean by calibrated for HEI?) on a couple plugs and it was a clean blue spark. I didn’t do this when it was acting up, because it’s hard to pin down when that will happen. Given one turn of the key it won’t start, and the next it will. But I did test it hot and cold to no change.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The fuel pressure is 58-56 when cranking all the time. Hot or cold.

I used a spark tester with the gap set at 25 (is that what you mean by calibrated for HEI?) on a couple plugs and it was a clean blue spark. I didn’t do this when it was acting up, because it’s hard to pin down when that will happen. Given one turn of the key it won’t start, and the next it will. But I did test it hot and cold to no change.

.025"? That's really small.

Fragment

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
.025"? That's really small.
No it’s 25 on the spark tester… not sure what the units are. I think it’s meaning kV. Anyways… it translates to about .65 inches gap between electrode and cathode of the tester. Sorry for the confusion…