Experience with this crate engine company?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understanding its popularity we spent years analyzing the 350's failure points and worked to come up with key upgrades to help increase its longevity. Paying close attention to thermodynamics our XP1 series surpasses any rebuilt 350 crate engine today. Our long blocks are completely remanufactured at our state-of-the-art facility using upgraded components. When it comes to price and reliability you won't find a better deal.
INSTANTLY suspicious.

Too much verbose bullshit, not enough mention of WHAT they did to "surpass any rebuilt 350 crate engine". I have the impression that they're better with words than with engine building.

WHAT do they mean by "surpass"? Additonal power? Not likely. Additional service life? Where's the warranty? They're offering ONE YEAR of warranty. And they think you're going to find a shop that charges only $35/Hr. Maybe thirty years ago. Then, there's a $400 maximum labor payout.

I want to know what "Thermodynamics" work they did.

RUN, run away.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. I LOVE these items:

Products thought to be defective must be delivered, out of chassis, at purchaser's expense.

So even if it's a genuine defect that they'd accept responsibility for, you're going to pay shipping to get the turd back to them, and--as explained above--you're going to pay the shop to tear the thing out 'cause these folks only offer a token labor payment.

Don't get me started on what happens if they DON'T agree that the problem is their fault. They have the engine, and you have NO EVIDENCE.

Either way, you're going to buy new oil, new anti-freeze, filters, etc. 'cause they don't cover "consumables".

• Have motor oil and filter changed 500 miles after delivery and then at intervals of no more than three-thousand (3,000) miles.
  • Provide receipts to evidence compliance with the above conditions at the time of making any claim under this warranty. Receipts must be printed and issued by a firm or commercial operation, which performed the work.
AND you have to have a professional change oil every 3,000 miles even though GM suggests much longer oil change intervals AND the environmentalists are crying about 3K oil changes wasting resources (they're generally right.)

Last edited:

489burb

Reaction score

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does welding up cracked heads to put them back in service qualify as "thermodynamics"? LOL

Jeez the add says absolutely nothing.

Some horrendous **** comes out of some of these mass rebuilders shops. .080 over, welded cast crank journals, welded heads etc. They don't like to throw stuff away. The warranties are usually worded so that there is no warranty unless installed at a licensed shop, and like said they are hard to collect on.

Blueprint and Atk have a little better rep than some others. Gm crates with the warranty are hard to beat.

Last edited:

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I were buying a crate motor I would strictly get a GM new crate motor. Over the years from personal and through friends i found most shops lacking. Those crate motors may be as much or more but I rather do that than some unknown monkey in a one car garage using 80 grit sandpaper to “hone” the cylinders.

If I was building a engine I would only use a local reputable shop. Yes it will most likely cost money. I would also immediately exclude any shop that says I must have it professionally installed. I have a 4 post lift, and pretty much every tool needed to do 99% of the work on a vehicle. In fact I am probably just as or better equipped than most shops.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 post lift, and pretty much every tool needed to do 99% of the work on a vehicle
Some day I'll break down and buy a lift. Right now I have a bunch of jack stands, ha ha.

If I were buying a crate motor I would strictly get a GM new crate motor.
X2 - my Mr Goodwrench 350 (hecho en Mexico) was put in my truck just before I bought it in 02. The bottom end is still in great condition and doesn't burn or leak any oil. My swirl port heads and gaskets gave up last year though. I didn't touch the small block, other than the cam and timing chains, when I built the top end. Still no leaks or burning oil.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get a two post really cheap on Craigslist or OfferUp. I’m gonna get a used two post lift so I can pull the bed or cab off on my GMC by myself.
I can tell you the 4 post lift with sliding air jacks is by far the best investment I ever made in tools. I had to go to a 14,000 pound one as I have a 3/4 and 1 ton truck and I got a smoking deal on it.
I’ll never go back to a no lift situation.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifts are easy. Getting concrete suitable for a 2-post is difficult. The concrete has to be high-strength, and thicker than typical garage construction.

There's photos on the internet of 2-posts lifts that have fallen over because the concrete they were bolted to was sub-standard. The car being lifted does not appreciate this.