Exhuast pipe routing and headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could you goo slightly more in depth about this? Like how you're supposed to put it together
I was looking at JBA but I have heard they were made in Mexico and LOW quality.[/QUOTE]
What I did was to remove the section of pipes that go from the exhaust manifolds, (or headers in my case), to the flange that is just behind the cats. I tool a steel rod about 2 feet long and a hammer, and busted out the honeycomb middle material that is inside of my cats out of there. So I have an empty shell, with nothing inside of it. I had to cut the pipe to get inside of the second cat, as it is farther and the exhaust pipe is in the way. Once I removed all of the honeycomb and there is a mesh that goes around the honeycomb. Once all of this was done, I welded the exhaust pipe back ti the second cat. Then reinstalled that section of pipe. Then I went to autozone and bought 2 packs of 2 each, spark plug spacers. I drilled out one of them with a 1/2 drill bit so the 02 sensor would fit inside of the spark plug spacers. Then I took some of the honeycomb material and ground it to fit inside of the spark plug spacer. This goes between the 02 bung ( where you now install the spark plug spacer) and where the 02 sensor is now.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A few more pics

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you grind the honeycomb, it is very brittle, and makes a lot of dust, so ware a dust mask, Also to cut this stuff,(it needs to be about 1/2 inch long) I used a hacksaw, but you have to pull the saw. If you try to push the saw, (where the teeth bite) it will brake this stuff. Also when I ground the honeycomb, I ground a rod 3, 4 or even 5 inches long, It is a lot easier to manage and grind down to the correct diameter.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had these on my truck for IDK 2 years I guess, and never a CEL

Reaction score
Very good useful information with Links added. I was doing almost the same thing with the O2 censor on my header equipped MCSS back in the mid to later 80s, although computers were much different back then.

Thanks kennythewelder!