Exhuast pipe routing and headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shorty headers are better at low end torque, and long tubes are better at higher RPMs. A X pipe is more effective than a H pipe. You get better scavenging from a X pipe. Shorty headers will also fit where the exhaust manifolds are now, and long tubes will need to be custom fitted. In other words, long tubes have a flange welded into the exhaust pipe. As for coatings, they all ware off in time, and stainless headers will turn blue in time. That being said, I have summit shortys on my 97 vortec. The thing to do is to strip off the OE black paint, and repaint them with VHT header paint. Follow the directions on the can. Do this before you install them. I just let the paint burn off of mine, and repainted them on the truck, that years ago, and they still look good. As for obstructions, or restrictions, well the OE exhaust is restrictive. This is in the cats, and the muffler. A set of high flow cats, and a good muffler, that flows will be a big help in removing restrictions. Keep in mind that Flow masters are restrictive. Any muffler that has baffolds in them will restrict flow. You need a muffler that you can hold up to the light, and see straight through. Magnaflow, Borla, SLP, even old school glass packs are not restrictive. You can hold those mufflers up, and look straight through them. None of this will give you huge performance gains, but is a step in the rite direction. As for exhaust pipe size, well you are good to about 350 to 400 HP range with the stock pipe most likely, Is your truck a vortec ? if so a dual exhaust is easy to do on these trucks. 2 pipes into 1 muffler, just remove the muffler. and replace with 2 free flowing mufflers.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shorty headers are better at low end torque, and long tubes are better at higher RPMs. A X pipe is more effective than a H pipe. You get better scavenging from a X pipe. Shorty headers will also fit where the exhaust manifolds are now, and long tubes will need to be custom fitted. In other words, long tubes have a flange welded into the exhaust pipe. As for coatings, they all ware off in time, and stainless headers will turn blue in time. That being said, I have summit shortys on my 97 vortec. The thing to do is to strip off the OE black paint, and repaint them with VHT header paint. Follow the directions on the can. Do this before you install them. I just let the paint burn off of mine, and repainted them on the truck, that years ago, and they still look good. As for obstructions, or restrictions, well the OE exhaust is restrictive. This is in the cats, and the muffler. A set of high flow cats, and a good muffler, that flows will be a big help in removing restrictions. Keep in mind that Flow masters are restrictive. Any muffler that has baffolds in them will restrict flow. You need a muffler that you can hold up to the light, and see straight through. Magnaflow, Borla, SLP, even old school glass packs are not restrictive. You can hold those mufflers up, and look straight through them. None of this will give you huge performance gains, but is a step in the rite direction. As for exhaust pipe size, well you are good to about 350 to 400 HP range with the stock pipe most likely, Is your truck a vortec ? if so a dual exhaust is easy to do on these trucks. 2 pipes into 1 muffler, just remove the muffler. and replace with 2 free flowing mufflers.
I am most likely going with Dynomax race bullets. I really don't want cats either. I heard that x pipes tend to be more for up top.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check out this video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have a vortec, you can't just take out the cats without using an 02 simulator, or having the rear 02 sensors programmed out of the ECM. If you do, you will have a CEL. I had gutted the cats , I had to come up with something that would work so I took as small piece on the honey comb material That I busted out of the cat, when I gutted it. Then I had to grind it down and cut it, so it would fit into the spacer between the 02 sensor and the exhaust pipe. If you do this, use a dust mask when grinding, this stuff makes a lot of dust, and it is brittle. My truck has been like this for well over a year. No CEL
You must be registered for see images attach

Also, here is a place that you can just buy some if you don.t want to make you own
http://bigdaddiesgarage.com/
If you truck is not a vortec,(1995 or before) then you don't have to worry about this.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my system

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you use these headers, get some Felpro headers gaskets.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a video on exhaust pipe size and performance on a 350 with about 340 HP.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a vortec, you can't just take out the cats without using an 02 simulator, or having the rear 02 sensors programmed out of the ECM. If you do, you will have a CEL. I had gutted the cats , I had to come up with something that would work so I took as small piece on the honey comb material That I busted out of the cat, when I gutted it. Then I had to grind it down and cut it, so it would fit into the spacer between the 02 sensor and the exhaust pipe. If you do this, use a dust mask when grinding, this stuff makes a lot of dust, and it is brittle. My truck has been like this for well over a year. No CEL

Also, here is a place that you can just buy some if you don.t want to make you own
http://bigdaddiesgarage.com/
If you truck is not a vortec,(1995 or before) then you don't have to worry about this.
Could you goo slightly more in depth about this? Like how you're supposed to put it together
I was looking at JBA but I have heard they were made in Mexico and LOW quality.