Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some help everyone I recently got pulled over and the police in California swar that my car is illegal and that iv dome something to the emissions. My truck is a stock 4.3 v6 and 5 speed manual transmission . All I had done was I got a catalytic converter put on about 2 years ago and right after the catalytic converter and maybe goes about 4 or 5 in and then it goes into a single and dual out super 10 and then it's ported right out before the front or for the back tire with dual tips so it sounds like it's a V8 but it's not and so they're making me take it to a referee and it has to pass smog well I was recently I was driving it that day to get all the codes or anything to pop up to make sure it would pass small well I I had a suspicion it wouldn't pass smog because my exhaust really burns my eyes and now mind you I changed my O2 sensors I have changed spark plugs wires cap rotor I have also replaced EGR valve throttle positioning and many other sensors on this engine in the last year so it's beyond me of why my car is running so rich if that's the problem but I need to figure out this problem before I take it to the referee or this car will never be driven again until it is fixed and this is my only vehicle can someone help me narrow down the reasons of why this might be an issue of why I cannot get this burning or really it's pretty sensation to my eyes for my exhaust fixed because I think that's the reason why it's not passing passing smog

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My eyes glazed over with that overly worded run-on non-sentence. Honestly, I really dont know what you're asking, is there actually a question hidden in there?

It would be dramatically easier if you could edit it, punctuate it, and only give us facts.
Remember, brevity is your friend

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, use spell check. Or review your post before hitting send.
Too many issues listed you really need to get a scanner and see what is going on engine wise. Not just a code reader. This sounds beyond your skill level.
Good luck.

heskahoka

Reaction score
Heck, just for fun, I took a crack at it and rewrote what I think he was trying to say. I cleaned it up, looked up some of his definitions, and rearranged for clarity.

"I need some help everyone.

I recently got pulled over in California and the police swear that my car is illegal and that I have done something to the emissions. They are making me take it to a referee to pass smog. That day, I was driving to get all the codes or anything to pop up to make sure it would pass smog. I had a suspicion it wouldn't pass smog because my exhaust fumes really burns my eyes.

Background:

My truck is a stock 4.3 v6 and 5 speed manual transmission. I got a catalytic converter put on about 2 years ago and the exhaust after the converter goes about 4 or 5 inches, goes into a Super 10 (Flowmaster chambered muffler / splitter), then it's ported right out in front of both rear tires. It sounds like it's a V8 but it's not.

What I have done:

I have changed my O2 sensors, spark plugs wires, cap, rotor, EGR valve, throttle positioning sensor (TPS) and many other sensors on this engine in the last year or so.

It's beyond me of why my car is running so rich if that's the problem?

I need to figure this out before I take it to the referee or this car will never be driven again. This is my only vehicle, so can someone help me narrow down the reasons for the issue? Why is the exhaust burning my eyes? I think that is the reason why it's not passing smog."

What year is the truck?
Exhaust that burns your eyes usually means it is super rich and/or your catalytic converter is not working. I would check the truck for codes, then also check the cat. Diagnose from there.

35olds

Reaction score
I would just like to replace my stock exhaust set-up from the cat back , I don't need a performance cat back , I have a 5.7 in my 88 1500 . 131 inch wheelbase , looking all over and cannot find , only for a 5.3 ,

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just like to replace my stock exhaust set-up from the cat back , I don't need a performance cat back , I have a 5.7 in my 88 1500 . 131 inch wheelbase , looking all over and cannot find , only for a 5.3 ,
Well then you're looking in the wrong place, or your vehicle settings are wrong.
Did you put in "Silverado" instead of C or K?
There's no possibility of a 5.3 as an OE option till '99, so look again.
As these trucks are well out of current design, have you looked at generation specific sellers, like LMC?

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well then you're looking in the wrong place, or your vehicle settings are wrong.
Did you put in "Silverado" instead of C or K?
There's no possibility of a 5.3 as an OE option till '99, so look again.
As these trucks are well out of current design, have you looked at generation specific sellers, like LMC?
Summit, Jegs etc carry exhaust systems for our trucks