Exhaust revamp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last weekend my exhaust had a little mishap. Recently I swapped a 14 bolt rear end into my truck and apparently it was just enough bigger than to 10 bolt that with a trailer and a rough road to hit the exhaust.

the exhaust was done around 6 years ago and the pipe itself is still very solid but where the Glasspacks were reduced down corroded and broke right there.

it’s a dual 2.25 pipe from the manifolds with a H-pipe near the crossmember the torsion bars attached to. then into 2 3 inch cherry bomb Glasspacks and exit behind the rear tires.

the H-pipe is a home brew deal I put together In a attempt to quiet down the firecracker sound I was getting. It did work very well at what I wanted but it looks horrible and I know it is a slight restriction so I planned on getting one I can’t put together and know it’s flowing the best I can

so with this happening it gives me an excuse fix some things.

1.h-pipe
i think I saw a kit on summit racing that would work perfect

2. drone
I love the way the truck sounds it’s loud when I get on it but is barely noticeable at highway speeds BUT Iv learned pulling a trailer in third or climbing an incline I get a drone that drives me insane. I don’t necessarily want to get rid of the Glasspacks but I’m not sure that the side that broke has solid enough metal to weld it back on. And if I do replace them I would probably go with 2.25 Glasspacks and I’m not sure if that would affect the sound.

3.hangers
The stock exhaust side is using the stock exhaust hangers. The driver side is using a metal hanger that bolts to the frame if I can I’d like to have a stock style hanger there as well any ideas?

4. the part that broke.
The part that broke the pipe is still in good shape and I believe the part that goes over the axle has the right angle is just needs to be moved back a little to get clearance.

I’m still racking my brain about it but figured any ideas would be helpful. I may just weld the broken part back on for now as driving the truck down the road is a night mare now! It sounds horrible and gives me a headache.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Last weekend my exhaust had a little mishap. Recently I swapped a 14 bolt rear end into my truck and apparently it was just enough bigger than to 10 bolt that with a trailer and a rough road to hit the exhaust.

the exhaust was done around 6 years ago and the pipe itself is still very solid but where the Glasspacks were reduced down corroded and broke right there.

it’s a dual 2.25 pipe from the manifolds with a H-pipe near the crossmember the torsion bars attached to. then into 2 3 inch cherry bomb Glasspacks and exit behind the rear tires.

the H-pipe is a home brew deal I put together In a attempt to quiet down the firecracker sound I was getting. It did work very well at what I wanted but it looks horrible and I know it is a slight restriction so I planned on getting one I can’t put together and know it’s flowing the best I can

so with this happening it gives me an excuse fix some things.

1.h-pipe
i think I saw a kit on summit racing that would work perfect

2. drone
I love the way the truck sounds it’s loud when I get on it but is barely noticeable at highway speeds BUT Iv learned pulling a trailer in third or climbing an incline I get a drone that drives me insane. I don’t necessarily want to get rid of the Glasspacks but I’m not sure that the side that broke has solid enough metal to weld it back on. And if I do replace them I would probably go with 2.25 Glasspacks and I’m not sure if that would affect the sound.

3.hangers
The stock exhaust side is using the stock exhaust hangers. The driver side is using a metal hanger that bolts to the frame if I can I’d like to have a stock style hanger there as well any ideas?

4. the part that broke.
The part that broke the pipe is still in good shape and I believe the part that goes over the axle has the right angle is just needs to be moved back a little to get clearance.

I’m still racking my brain about it but figured any ideas would be helpful. I may just weld the broken part back on for now as driving the truck down the road is a night mare now! It sounds horrible and gives me a headache.

My 3rd GMT400 was a '96 K2500 with a 350 and an NV4500. When I first got it, it had a 12" x 3" glasspack. Horrible drone, and it would backfire and die under load. I had a Magnaflow 2.5" dual in/dual out put on her, with the tailpipes exiting from the corners of the bed, tucked up high with a muscle car style turn down. Plenty loud under hard throttle, but ZERO drone. Best exhaust I've ever had on any vehicle.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m for the Magnaflows too. At the moment I’m doing some exhaust work myself with little time to work but I still need my truck so I’m running straight pipes. I feel you on the drone.