exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running these headers which are pretty much the same only with the A.I.R. fittings for my 88 TBI
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9015

With the JBA Y pipe, I like them.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-2831sy

Here's the Y with a high flow Thunderbolt 3 cat

You must be registered for see images attach

Yes, you're evidently running a Vortec so, this particular Y may not work if you need the 2 bung holes but either way your Jegs and my JBA Ys are a hell of a lot better than the crimp bent OEM.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
ok this could go 2 was what one is better headers to 2.225 y in 3 out to small section of factory pipe to single 3 in single 3 out or dual 2.25 maybe with a x pipe then a y to a single 3 in single 3 out

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ive been running those headers for IDK 7 or 8 years. Ive been happy with mine. I do have true duals with old school 24 inch glass packs out the back on my 97 5.7 Vortec.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
that is cool think this I what is what my friend got along with the axle back pipe https://www.holley.com/products/exh...ed_mufflers/50_series_delta_flow/parts/943052
If its sound you after, then thats grate, but if its flow (performance) then you need a muffler that you can see through before its installed. Any mufflers with baffles will restrict exhaust flow. The better the exhaust can flow, the better the engine will perform. In simple terms, an engine is just a big air compressor. The more air-fuel you get into and exhaust out of the engine, the more power it will make.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I am in complete agreement with you but since I am a co-builder I can give advice but I do not have final say. I had told him a glasspack/race bullet or maybe even a single chamber would be the way to go but that is what he chose he dose not care how loud it is out side but inside he wanted little to no drone. the least amount of resonance and be able to here the radio and carry on a conversation. the headers and y pipe were left up to me to pick so I chose the summit ones. that leaves me at post #4 where I described 2 setups and ask what one was better.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I got you. So why a Y pipe on a Vortec? Why not a X pipe. Vortecs were not desinged to run a single exhaust. I guess you could run the 2 front 02 sensors before the Y pipe, and tune out the rear 02 sensors, but it just seams like a waste to me. As Im sure you all ready know, Vortecs have 4 02 sensors. The 2 front sensors adjust fuel trim levels, and the 2 rear 02 sensors read the what oxygen is in the exhaust after the cats, and the ECM looks for the difference. So to do away with the rear 02 sensors, and, or the cats, you need ether 02 simulators, or to have the rear 02 sensors tuned out of the ECM. Just food for thought. I gutted my cats,and made my own simulators.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok this could go 2 was what one is better headers to 2.225 y in 3 out to small section of factory pipe to single 3 in single 3 out or dual 2.25 maybe with a x pipe then a y to a single 3 in single 3 out
Just keep in mind dual 2.25" pipes flow about the same as a single 3"

If its sound you after, then thats grate, but if its flow (performance) then you need a muffler that you can see through before its installed.
^^^X2 - here's a better muffler I put in to replace my 3" - 3 chamber muffler, great sound with no drone (gained some HP too). Plus it's made in the good 'ol US of A!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060EI9XK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1