Exhaust opinions needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put shortys on my 5.7 vortec with 2.25 back to a flow master. I have the y pipe and no cats. I’m looking to get it redone and have something on there that will sound better and give it better performance. Any ideas?

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Despite what some people might say, you won't gain any performance from an exhaust system on a stock engine. So just pick what sounds good. I currently have no cats dual 36" glasspacks installed the "quiet way." Sounds pretty good after they're broken in

Aidan Kesler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally like to stick with flows for these ole trucks, i just feel it gives it a real truck sound rather than a race car sound like magnaflow and glasspacks etc. My preferred setup is any type of headers you want, but from the header back do a 2.25" - 2.5" true duals with two flowmaster super 40's or super 44's at the end of the cab/start of the bed ( i dont like the original 40s because too much drone) and then the pipes can go where you please, but i like 3.5" tips out at 45 degree angle or out the back.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I've always liked the Flowmaster 40 mufflers. Definitely get a dual exhaust. The pipes on my 98 are just 2.5" with 3" tips and it sounded pretty good with the cats, I now have the cats deleted and it still sounds good imo.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll always vote Borla, but any straight through design is good. I can never see adding a restrictive muffler like a flowmaster.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have Borla on my tundra, pretty quiet. Flows are outdated n overrated. Granted they sound good on certain trucks/cars, but they still sound the same. I dunno what is on my Yukon, it guessing Borla cause it did have Borla headers, but it sounds pretty good. Hard to hear the whipple over it

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh n total bs saying won’t get any performance from a stock engine. I’ve done numerous headers, cat back, full system n got great results, all from a stock engine. I replaced the down pipes on my Tahoe, stock manifold n rest of exhaust noticed more low end torque.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Ugh, just realized the YouTube version is missing 3/4 of the shootout. If you have Motor Trend access, look it up. They do dyno comparisons on a ton of mufflers. I ended up buying Cherry Bomb Salutes based on this episode.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Yukon has no cats n no lights monitors nothing. My Tahoe is the same setup almost, they come on now n then. It had the anti foulers in it, gonna try those n see what happens.