Exhaust compatibility 73-87 for an '89 Suburban 2WD 2500 BBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy850

Reaction score
Here's another question. To preface, I am not familiar with the 7.4L and these exhaust tubes (I presume they're routing to an EGR) are making me question where they're heading.
Once I replace the headers how many ports will I need to block off? Is it just 1 plate on the intake?

Here's a very crude drawing of what I'm talking about.
I have ventured to the rear of the engine\intake yet as I'm a short fellow and it's hard enough to check the transmission fluid on this beast.

I'd prefer to get a block plate(s) so I can complete the work under the hood all at once in preparation for the drive to the exhaust shop for the under car work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A.I.R. tubes. Air injection Reactor. Theres a belt driven pump that blows air into the exhaust pipes to "light off" the converter, getting it up to temp quicker. It's an archaic emission device. If the headers have a fitting, plumb the tubes into the fitting. If they dont, just bypass it. Especially since you're eliminating the converter anyway.