Exhaust compatibility 73-87 for an '89 Suburban 2WD 2500 BBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy850

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my holey exhaust with a new rig.
I found some Hedman headers that fit years 73-91 but not a full exhaust.
These headers should work -- https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-91-chevy-gmc/exhaust/csb-1973-91-exhaust-headers

The exhaust kit (linked below) states it only fits 73-87

Can anyone confirm if there's some major change between the 87 and 89 model that would cause this kit not to fit?

Part # 36-5582 -- https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-91-ch...3-91-high-performance-bolt-on-exhaust-systems

And\or if someone knows of a better kit that is 100% confirmed to fit on an '89 I'd love to see it.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pre TBI, the 86 and older trucks had a thermo-operated vacuum flap valve at the end of the passenger side manifold. It closed to force exhaust through the EGR passages in the manifold, warming the incoming air/fuel mix.
TBI and later (87+) this was eliminated.

Going to dual pipes and long tube headers is not a problem within the same body design, more the OE component routing changed, thus the "break" in fitment. You don't have the vacuum hoses, so theres nothing reroute or plug.

As long as you've got a square body Suburban, the '86 and older system will fit up to '91.

They list it as "up to 87" meaning square body, so not to confuse with the IFS '88+ pickups. Those who "know", know to include the changeover years.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The first part you linked showed both long and mid length headers. It requires very different sets of pipes.

The second link was an exhaust manifold back dual system. It wont work with headers.

Chevy850

Reaction score
The first part you linked showed both long and mid length headers. It requires very different sets of pipes.

The second link was an exhaust manifold back dual system. It wont work with headers.

Yep I figured they would generally "fit" as the body remained the same from the pictures I've seen. (Yes my '89 is a square body, it's my profile picture to the left)
Now the headers to exhaust connection I believe I have a plan for.

I was planning to go the Hedman longtube headers + grab the full exhaust system linked above.
My local exhaust guy should be able to cut and weld the necessary flange to connect the system to the LTs.

I'm going to call him tomorrow but my thinking is that the full set of pipes, bend time, hangers, welding, mufflers purchased directly from him is going to cost more than the kit.

I did this before on a C10 but it was a fully matched kit plug-n-play. Even though it was a slip fit with clamps I had him weld it all at a cost of $105.

Chevy850

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! If there's a better kit (for the money) that you'd recommend please let me know. I don't want the cheapest thing you can buy but I also don't want to spend $2k.
I just want at minimum aluminized steel, name brand headers and a reputable company to back it up.

Seems to be slim pickings when searching for this particular truck but I've had great results with LMC Truck parts so I'd hope their exhausts are acceptable.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
This is the only system listed @ Summit for the big block.

This is the only other systems listed but the 2 Hooker kits are 2.25" and do not come with mufflers.