Everything I know about the 94-only "ZM2" package pickups.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been trying to uncover the secret of the ZM2 optioned trucks, there's very little conversation on the internet about it and I feel like I've found enough info to finally make a post about it. Anyways, here we go...

The Silverado LT and Sierra SLT names sound normal these days since they've both became normal trim levels over the last 20 or so years on GM pickups, but back in 1994, the top trim levels on pickups were Silverado for Chevys and SLE for GMCs. SLT was only on S-10 based Jimmys, and LT was a package(?) for the S-10 (and maybe the S-10 Blazer?) Quite a few small changes were made in 94 for the C/K's, R134A was introduced, the grilles got updated, the diesel engines got some attention, the doors got some extra reinforcement, and there were a few other even more minor changes, but GM also introduced a luxury package for their 94 1500 pickups, the ZM2 package. It was known as the "Silverado LT" and the "Sierra SLT" package, a rare option that mostly was just dressing the interior up, many parts came from the 92-94 Suburbans. It lasted one year and one year only, 1995 model GMT400's that were optioned similarly didn't have the ZM2 code, it was just part of the trim level. The ZM2 package is rarely talked about and it's very hard to find any information on it, but I've seen one in a junkyard that definitely lived a hard life and I also saw one at a Home Depot that looked showroom quality, so I definitely know they exist, and there are a few images of ZM2 trucks for sale floating around on the web; anyways, here was the list of changes:

6-Way Power Leather Seats (identical to the YE9 cloth buckets in shape, similar to suburban leather seats in style)
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel (also pulled straight from a leather-equipped 'burb)
Overhead and Floor mounted consoles (both consoles are the same as all other trucks)
Electrochromic Rear View Mirror with Compass (not the same as 95+ mirror, much older looking)
Same Side View Mirrors as the 95+ trucks and 92+ SUV's, but they weren't powered.
Illuminated Visor Mirrors (Same as well-optioned SUV's)

These trucks had to be optioned a certain way, they were all 1500 extended cab short beds with the TBI 5.7 and the automatic transmission, stepside bed and 4x4 were available options. All options that came with the Convenience Group 4 of the YE9 (Silverado and SLE) package were standard on the ZM2 trucks, along with a few things that would've been options on a YE9 truck, are standard on a ZM2 truck, such as alloy wheels, a tachometer, 5 bar EQ radio, and a bedliner. They weren't fully loaded, I mentioned the body and powertrain options above, but a rear window defogger, skid plates, trailering package, and the G80 were some of the handful of options that the ZM2 package had.

Now I have only seen GM documents on the Silverado LT package, I have no official info on the Sierra SLT version, but I know they do exist, I've seen one before in a junkyard, the VIN checked out as a GMC VIN and the original glove box had the ZM2 code in it, the badge on the C-pillar said SLT and it had all the same goodies as the Silverado LT version. From what little info I can find, the only interior color is Tan, but there's a listing and a few pictures somewhere on the internet of a Sierra SLT with a Grey interior, so I'm not sure what that's about, maybe Grey was optional on Sierras and not Silverado's? I've only ever seen Silverado LTs with Tan interiors and I haven't found any official info a ZM2 truck with a Grey interior, so that's something I'm still trying to figure out.

Anyways, if anyone has any information they'd like to share or any comments on the ZM2 package, I'd love to hear it! There's basically no discussion about it on any forums, and GM info is limited as well, so I thought that I'd throw this out there for anyone researching these trucks.

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been trying to uncover the secret of the ZM2 optioned trucks, there's very little conversation on the internet about it and I feel like I've found enough info to finally make a post about it. Anyways, here we go...

The Silverado LT and Sierra SLT names sound normal these days since they've both became normal trim levels over the last 20 or so years on GM pickups, but back in 1994, the top trim levels on pickups were Silverado for Chevys and SLE for GMCs. SLT was only on S-10 based Jimmys, and LT was a package(?) for the S-10 (and maybe the S-10 Blazer?) Quite a few small changes were made in 94 for the C/K's, R134A was introduced, the grilles got updated, the diesel engines got some attention, the doors got some extra reinforcement, and there were a few other even more minor changes, but GM also introduced a luxury package for their 94 1500 pickups, the ZM2 package. It was known as the "Silverado LT" and the "Sierra SLT" package, a rare option that mostly was just dressing the interior up, many parts came from the 92-94 Suburbans. It lasted one year and one year only, 1995 model GMT400's that were optioned similarly didn't have the ZM2 code, it was just part of the trim level. The ZM2 package is rarely talked about and it's very hard to find any information on it, but I've seen one in a junkyard that definitely lived a hard life and I also saw one at a Home Depot that looked showroom quality, so I definitely know they exist, and there are a few images of ZM2 trucks for sale floating around on the web; anyways, here was the list of changes:

6-Way Power Leather Seats (identical to the YE9 cloth buckets in shape, similar to suburban leather seats in style)
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel (also pulled straight from a leather-equipped 'burb)
Overhead and Floor mounted consoles (both consoles are the same as all other trucks)
Electrochromic Rear View Mirror with Compass (not the same as 95+ mirror, much older looking)
Same Side View Mirrors as the 95+ trucks and 92+ SUV's, but they weren't powered.
Illuminated Visor Mirrors (Same as well-optioned SUV's)

These trucks had to be optioned a certain way, they were all 1500 extended cab short beds with the TBI 5.7 and the automatic transmission, stepside bed and 4x4 were available options. All options that came with the Convenience Group 4 of the YE9 (Silverado and SLE) package were standard on the ZM2 trucks, along with a few things that would've been options on a YE9 truck, are standard on a ZM2 truck, such as alloy wheels, a tachometer, 5 bar EQ radio, and a bedliner. They weren't fully loaded, I mentioned the body and powertrain options above, but a rear window defogger, skid plates, trailering package, and the G80 were some of the handful of options that the ZM2 package had.

Now I have only seen GM documents on the Silverado LT package, I have no official info on the Sierra SLT version, but I know they do exist, I've seen one before in a junkyard, the VIN checked out as a GMC VIN and the original glove box had the ZM2 code in it, the badge on the C-pillar said SLT and it had all the same goodies as the Silverado LT version. From what little info I can find, the only interior color is Tan, but there's a listing and a few pictures somewhere on the internet of a Sierra SLT with a Grey interior, so I'm not sure what that's about, maybe Grey was optional on Sierras and not Silverado's? I've only ever seen Silverado LTs with Tan interiors and I haven't found any official info a ZM2 truck with a Grey interior, so that's something I'm still trying to figure out.

Anyways, if anyone has any information they'd like to share or any comments on the ZM2 package, I'd love to hear it! There's basically no discussion about it on any forums, and GM info is limited as well, so I thought that I'd throw this out there for anyone researching these trucks.
I had the ZM2 stepside 4x4 in grey cloth had only the options you listed except sliding rear glass which might have been aftermarket . Great truck and miss it - t-boned but replaced with a 1994 Burb and correct very similar options - except the leather - even alloy rims the same. Just started an LS swap and probably use 2005 Burb seats and console - Johnniemustang