Everyday/towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My prior 95 Suburban C2500 had the 7.4L and 4.10 gears with 4L80E trans. It was a great combo of family + towing rig (which is what I used it for) for its era, and did relatively well with our 32’ RV trailer weighing around 9500# loaded. Tongue weight was around 1300# and the Burb barely squatted at all. I did have a weight distribution hitch and airbags also to balance weight and smooth out the ride, but didn’t really need it for leveling. I’d imagine you could expect the same from a pickup of the same setup.

All that to say… now I have a 2005 Duramax CCLB DRW and I don’t think I’ll ever go back! It tows like there’s nothing behind it.
I’ve looked at the duromaxes and would love one, but I don’t have the funds for it.

Jack Nichols

Reaction score
I have a stock '92 Silverado reg cab non dually PU with the 454 and automatic with about 135,000 miles. I've pulled old Land Cruiser FJ55 wagon on a uhaul trailer pulled just fine, last week I flat towed my '71 FJ40 with heavy top and doors on over 3 mountain passes two of which were over 10,000'. It did great whether going up or down the curvy passes here in Colorado. It is, from the ground up a significantly heavier built unit than the 1500 and 2500s, and that sure makes a stability difference when towing.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I’m getting the P0300 (random misfire) and P1100 (high air intake temp sensor 1) if I remember correctly. My only current mechanical problem is oil sending unit is on the fritz, I have one to replace it but jacked my back up and haven’t been able to put it in, maybe today!! I have brand new cap, wires and plugs. It started about a week ago. I’ve used multiple different types of scanners and it just comes back as a P0300. Nothing else.
I’ve never experienced a misfire so I’m not sure exactly what it feels like, but cruising under throttle I’ve noticed a slightly stutter.(cap wires and about a month and a half old, plugs about 3months)

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I’m getting the P0300 (random misfire) and P1100 (high air intake temp sensor 1) if I remember correctly. My only current mechanical problem is oil sending unit is on the fritz, I have one to replace it but jacked my back up and haven’t been able to put it in, maybe today!! I have brand new cap, wires and plugs. It started about a week ago. I’ve used multiple different types of scanners and it just comes back as a P0300. Nothing else.
I’ve never experienced a misfire so I’m not sure exactly what it feels like, but cruising under throttle I’ve noticed a slightly stutter.(cap wires and about a month and a half old, plugs about 3months)
Is this on the 1500? I thought you mentioned you had found a 2500? Or meant "found", not "bought?"

If this on the 96: the V6 is a Vortec, right? Need to hook up a scanner with live data and see what the ECU is being fed regarding the high air temp sensor. I believe the intake temperature is integrated in the MAF sensor? I'm not sure on this year. The other code could be related or unrelated to this...

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this on the 1500? I thought you mentioned you had found a 2500? Or meant "found", not "bought?"

If this on the 96: the V6 is a Vortec, right? Need to hook up a scanner with live data and see what the ECU is being fed regarding the high air temp sensor. I believe the intake temperature is integrated in the MAF sensor? I'm not sure on this year. The other code could be related or unrelated to this...
I did find it, but wasn’t able to buy it. I’ve got the 4.3 vortec. Where do I get my hands on a live scanner? And hopefully someone who actually know how to read it?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did find it, but wasn’t able to buy it. I’ve got the 4.3 vortec. Where do I get my hands on a live scanner? And hopefully someone who actually know how to read it?
random misfire means it just wasnt either detectable to cylinder specifically which could be from lack of monitoring capability or generalized misfires. but it means your misfiring nonetheless , and if its sputters or just bogs down but isnt consistent i would say its a ignition system component, wires, carbon tracks on plugs, or you have an intake vac leak that is causing it to lean out all over. your high intake temp reading could be from a bad sensor, wiring issue. pull the plug wire off one plug and show us the tower on the plug and then also on the cap.
You must be registered for see images attach

anything that looks like this by chance?
no idea what that plug is from but the tower has a small scar and the ceramic has that carbon track, a large one, but they can be like lines.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
random misfire means it just wasnt either detectable to cylinder specifically which could be from lack of monitoring capability or generalized misfires. but it means your misfiring nonetheless , and if its sputters or just bogs down but isnt consistent i would say its a ignition system component, wires, carbon tracks on plugs, or you have an intake vac leak that is causing it to lean out all over. your high intake temp reading could be from a bad sensor, wiring issue. pull the plug wire off one plug and show us the tower on the plug and then also on the cap.
You must be registered for see images attach

anything that looks like this by chance?
no idea what that plug is from but the tower has a small scar and the ceramic has that carbon track, a large one, but they can be like lines.
I’ll check, I had to finish my autocad homework yesterday. So I’ll try to pull one later and check!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Here's my two cents: I have a 97 K1500 with a 4.3/NV3500 and I am currently doing a NV4500 swap mainly because I want to do some mild towing but also....I cracked the bellhousing on the 3500 when I was mounting to the engine. Because theses two manuals are fairly hard to find already, especially by themselves, I decided to go ahead and get the 4500.

My 4500 came out of a 93 so that means I'll have to get the input bearing retainer machined to accept the internal slave. If I didn't already have the engine and trans out of the truck, I'd be searching for a 2500 with a manual.
I highly recommend the EXTERNAL slave cylinder. I put a pre-bled master/slave combo in Frank in the snow covered gravel drive in a half hour start to finish. I think that is a bit easier than pulling the trans to do the same thing.

Also make certain to run the correct gear lube in the trans or the synchro's die a horrible death.