Ethanol vs Non-Ethanol Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
  1. Well with $3 and my opinion you can get a cup of coffee. I make my own fuel for my coleman lanterns and stoves by cooking gas. My best results are about a 15% to 17% loss from good gas and about 60%+ loss from the worst gas. Well I kind of see it like this what is left over in my cooker you can not set it on fire with a torch. I know this because I've tried. So logic tells me if it don't burn I don't believe my truck has no use for it. I believe it's just a way to sell us **** we don't need and everybody makes money off ever 3 quarts of gas we buy at gallon price. Other than that I get the same mileage on the high octane or mid grade that with 10% or or the gas with no ethanol at least in my 97.

kauila

Reaction score
Some people seem to like ethanol in their gas, but I avoid the stuff if e-free is available for all of my six trucks. One of the problems with ethanol is that it attracts moisture which settles down below the gasoline. This is not usually a problem when a truck gets used frequently, since the water ends up being regularly flushed out of the fuel line. My Silverado would often sit for weeks at a time when I worked on another island, and the metal fuel lines began rusting from the inside. I ended up changing out the metal fuel lines to those nylon ones and I also had to remove and clean the fuel rails and replace all of the injectors. The rust particles in the fuel was clogging them big time.
Ethanol does not have the BTUs that gasoline does, so it provides less energy. An engine tuned for e-free gas should get decent gas mileage. Those who claim it gets terrible mileage must not have given the computer module enough time to adjust to the new fuel or maybe their engine has messed up sensors. I get decent mileage and power using only e-free fuel.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, before the market supply of E10. We would add some alcohol to the tank to prevent gas line freezing. Water condensation in the tank and outdoor temp -30C. Only ethanal I add now, is for my joint pain in the tried and true form of home made beer, and wine.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you use ethanol gas and your truck/car/boat sits for months you better put fuel stabilizer in the tank, or you will have problems.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you use ethanol gas and your truck/car/boat sits for months you better put fuel stabilizer in the tank, or you will have problems.
Yep, that is why I use it in my bass boat , or depending on what lake I go to I can sometimes find E0.
Now E85 is really just acheap racing gas I would not use in anything that does not need super hi octane.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that is why I use it in my bass boat , or depending on what lake I go to I can sometimes find E0.
SOME boats have the fuel tanks as part of the fiberglass structure. In other words, fiberglass fuel tanks. Alcohol in those tanks is a VERY bad idea.

Now E85 is really just acheap racing gas I would not use in anything that does not need super hi octane.
Hard to provide proper jetting for fuel that's so variable. "E85" can really be "E60" or any number between that and 85. That's a variable I wouldn't want to deal with if I were racing.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
What about in my 1963 10HP johnson seahorse outboard? Regular ethanol free was available from shell, it is no longer and the only ethanol free is the supreme. So I bought it and ran that instead, that motor ran the best it ever ran in the 10 years I've had it. A person I respect quite a bit, who practically lives on the water gave me **** and said that motor was never ment to run on that high octane, put regular in. I said, "what about the ethanol?" He said "nevermind the ethanol, your guna blow it up." I'm like I dont know man maybe but I highly disagree about ethanol.... He walked away arguing with his brother about ethanol. Should I not burn supreme in my outboard?

I used to put the same regular ethanol free gas in my truck for the same reasons, now I cant find it.

Al