Error codes 37 and 43. Truck is new to me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I recently bought this truck and while running through it and checking for any problems it may have the headlight switch burnt up and since I had the bezel out I took the instrument cluster out to check all of the bulbs. I realized that someone at some point had removed the service engine soon light and replaced it. I have codes 37 and 43. 43 is easy enough I will go get a knock sensor and replace it but what do I need to do to fix code 37? It says that 37 is Torque Converter Clutch Brake Switch Circuit Error. That is fine and I know what it is but how do it go about fixing it. I cant seem to find any info on this code.

1993 Sierra C1500

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
43 is easy enough I will go get a knock sensor and replace it
Before spending any money, go check your wiring and connection at the Knock Sensor. It's located above the starter and is prone to corrosion and/or damage.

It says that 37 is Torque Converter Clutch Brake Switch Circuit Error. That is fine and I know what it is but how do it go about fixing it. I cant seem to find any info on this code.
The TCC Brake Switch is located at the brake pedal swing arm. Check it for continuity and switching state as you push the pedal down. HTH

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brake switch there are two connectors. one with 4 wires (pink-black, purple, orange and white) and one connector with a brown and whitish wire. is the wire to check continuity the brown and white wire?

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should also mention that the cruise control is not working. could that be one of the parallel issues? A bad brake switch?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brake switch there are two connectors. one with 4 wires (pink-black, purple, orange and white) and one connector with a brown and whitish wire. is the wire to check continuity the brown and white wire?
Here's a link to FSMs, you can look up the wiring diagram for your year truck.
www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-service-manuals.43575/

I should also mention that the cruise control is not working. could that be one of the parallel issues? A bad brake switch?
Yep, that's a good indication :waytogo:

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The brown and white wire (on top) are the cruise control wires. With the cruise on and the brake pedal NOT depressed, both should be hot. If only one of those has power, the brake switch is faulty. If neither has power, the cruise control switch (turn lever) is bad. Off the top of my head these are not related to the TCC wiring but I could be wrong. The bottom plug with lots of wires is where I think that is; I know it sends a signal to the ABS. A wiring diagram from the above link will be a tremendous help.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a link to FSMs, you can look up the wiring diagram for your year truck.
www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-service-manuals.43575/

Yep, that's a good indication :waytogo:
Definitely worth downloading. The manual will also have the diagnostic procedure for each code. For example, here is the one for a 94. Might be the same for 93…not sure, though.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad brake switch is super common. There are 3 sets of contacts in there and they're simply leaf switches; over time they wear and the gap gets too large, or they actually break. You can have one function go bad and others still work - like brake lights still work but cruise or TCC don't, which sounds like the situation you may be in.

If your diagnosis finds you replacing the brake switch, once you have the old one off it's easy to crack it open and inspect for damage.

88-93 brake switch replacement does require you adjust it upon installation (94-up design there is no adjustment.) From a member on Chevytalk -

Chevytech said:
Brake Switch adjustment
Here is how the switch is adjusted on 1988-1993 C/K trucks:
On the curved side of the switch, which is pointing down and somewhat towards the front of the vehicle when installed, the end of a lever protrudes slightly out of a slot.
While holding the brake pedal down a little ways, slide the lever that protrudes from the slot toward the driver’s seat.
Let go of the lever, then return the brake pedal to its fully released position, and the switch should self adjust. Make sure the pedal returns all the way and is not held partially applied by the switch not adjusting.

Brake Switch mounting – Installing:
The body of the brake switch should not move with the pedal at all. When you have the switch removed look at the side of the switch that would be towards the parking brake pedal if the switch were still installed. There is a protrusion on the switch that must slide into an opening where the switch mounts. Somewhat like a big square lug into a slot.

Richard

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry everyone I started a new job and have had no off days. I am still here. I will be checking back in, in a couple of days. I really need to get this stuff working plus I want the check engine light off

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am back and ready to get back on this job. I bought a new indicator/cruise stalk because the old one is loose and it’s hard to tell what speed the wipers are on. Upon pulling out the stalk the pot metal or aluminum what ever it is made of the inside of the area where the rod from the stalk pushes into caved in on itself into little pieces and now I can’t get the new stalk all the way in. Does anyone know the part number or the name of the switch it goes into? I cannot find the part online anywhere. the only thing that comes up when searching is the stalk itself. Also I plugged the new connector in for the cruise control and it did not work. So i need to get this working still but now I need the part that moves up and down and forwards and backwards that controls the indicators and high beams..