Engine swap to non computer engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan76

Reaction score
Truck is a 1996 c2500 with a 4l60e transmission. I bought the truck with a blown motor and the engine I am building will not be a computer controlled engine. I was told the only signal the transmission needs for proper shifting is throttle position sensor. Anyone else have experience with a swap like this?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You were told wrong. The electronically operated "e" trannys are operated via PWM by the ECM. It's not hydraulically modulated.
The OBD2 system uses TPS, VSS, CKP, and ECT, to properly upshift/downshift, and engage lockup torque converter.

If you want to build that truck, find a '91 or older 700r4. Make sure you get the proper bracket and adjust the TV cable.
Or better yet, a TH400...

It would be easier to get a Vortec engine block and put it back to OE stock. Use the EFI the way it was designed, use the OE tranny the way it was designed. Then forget modifying the fuel system, wiring, and instrumentation.

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want the 4L60e that you have to work, you'll need a transmission controller like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Otherwise, you'll need to go back to a 700R4 or another mechanical transmission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Original ecu with tps and I believe cam sensor inputs from engine should be able to run 4l60e