Engine stalls when heat is on and You put in Reverse 1995 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Reeves

Reaction score
Ok Puzzling question. Whenever I have my headlights on and the heat on if i try to back up the engine will stall if i cut something off before i put the truck in Reverse i have no problems, This will happen if i am running the AC too. Any Help would be Great!!

Steve

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Is the A/C compressor also running when you're using the heat? If so, could be the compressor is putting too much drag on the engine..

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
hmm, interesting, I cant imagine the alternator draw would be that high to stall the engine. Maybe the IAC solenoid is getting slow to react? or its time for a trans fluid and filter change?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, when your system voltage drops below 8 VDC the ECU disables the IAC.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
hmm, interesting, I cant imagine the alternator draw would be that high to stall the engine. Maybe the IAC solenoid is getting slow to react? or its time for a trans fluid and filter change?

He said the AC compressor not the alternator, the AC compressor has the ability to stall the engine if it locks up and the engine RPM's are low enough

Steven Reeves

Reaction score
C
He said the AC compressor not the alternator, the AC compressor has the ability to stall the engine if it locks up and the engine RPM's are low enough

Compressor is not locking up.

This problem only occurs when there are several systems running at the same time, If i cut the heat off before i back up the truck won't stall. Seems to be an electrical draw that is overwhelming the engine, would a bigger amp alternator fix this problem?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
No, that would be a band-aid if that is indeed the problem. I can run everything on my truck from the 4x4's thermal actuator (which takes a bit of juice..), my heater or A/C system, stereo and headlights with no issues.

The compressor should lock up when the clutch is engaged, however, the internal resistance could be higher than it should be. I've experienced that on cars before. It isn't noticeable so much on engines which have some grunt but like others have said, it can be enough to stall the engine in certain scenarios. So try and grab the hub of the compressor (the part which spins when the A/C clutch engages) and spin it by hand. It should spin without too much effort. If you have to reef on it to move it, something within it isn't right.

You can hook an amp clamp up to check what the current draw is, but if you're not blowing fuses or have any homebrew wiring to compensate for that and if the factory voltmeter isn't pegged left due to draw, I'd be inclined to suspect something else.

Steven Reeves

Reaction score
I have ruled out the A/C Compressor. This issue can arise when any instance of multiple systems are running, the A/C does not have to be one of the systems and the issue only arises when i put the truck in Reverse

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that includes the backup lights too. Maybe a short in them or just that much more of a drain on the system?