Engine Masters - 3" single vs 2.5" dual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have Motor Trend On Demand access you need to head over and watch Engine Masters Episode 60 that just posted. They do a series of tests with single 3" and dual 2.5" exhausts, which pertains to most of us.

The takeaway: if you can run a single 3" exhaust with a Y merge and an open (i.e. see-through) muffler, do it. If you have to use a turbo muffler, a single 3" exhaust is going to give up serious power. I really would have liked to see them do a test with an X or H merge pipe on the 2.5" exhaust - I think that really hurt it in comparison to the Y on the 3".

To be honest, I was in the "duals are always better" camp. I just put dual 2.5" exhaust with cats, an X-pipe, and open mufflers on my truck.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I've read that unless you're pushing over 400HP, it really doesn't matter with either setup. I can say with my shorty headers, and JBA mandrel bent Y to 3" single high flow Cat, when I changed from a 3 chamber muffler to a 3" Borla Pro XS (straight through flow), I definitely gained some performance based on my SOTP (Seat Of The Pants) dyno.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and they do discuss that long-tube headers could change the outcome. They went with shorties on the test, thinking that most people who would opt for a single exhaust would also be limited to running shorties - I used long-tubes on my build. I'm hoping I'll make significantly more than 400 hp, but the realist side of me says, "probably not".

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score