Engine knock issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd personally want to be around 15 degrees base and low 30s total. This is how I set the 289 in my Crown Victoria and that really woke it up. I'll be doing the same for the 454 in my dad's Monte Carlo. Maybe less total? Not sure, I'm in CO so it'll probably take it.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are describing EGR problms.
The run-on, detonation at low RPMs. If the distributor was original for the EGR stock engine, curve may be less than ideal.
Find an HEI dist for a carb'ed, non--EGR engine.
Compression could be way up there too.
The orig carb or TBI probably had an idle stop solenoid. That could be added back, or adjusted if still there and functioning.
The vacuum control for the dist may have had an 'amplifier' and various vacuum controls in the vacuum lines.
Maybe find a vacuum diagram for the donor engine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Matt98

Reaction score
You are describing EGR problms.
The run-on, detonation at low RPMs. If the distributor was original for the EGR stock engine, curve may be less than ideal.
Find an HEI dist for a carb'ed, non--EGR engine.
Compression could be way up there too.
The orig carb or TBI probably had an idle stop solenoid. That could be added back, or adjusted if still there and functioning.
The vacuum control for the dist may have had an 'amplifier' and various vacuum controls in the vacuum lines.
Maybe find a vacuum diagram for the donor engine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
EGR was my first thought, though as far as I know the engine never had an EGR. There's nothing in any vacuum lines I ran them all, the engine itself came out of a trans am I got that was rough, so I'm not sure exactly what was done to it in the past, nor did I drive it before pulling the motor out of it because it wasn't road worthy. All old TBI stuff is removed, wiring harness, ECU, all old lines (besides the evap system which I hooked back up). The engine has a non-EGR edelbrock intake on it, so I'm assuming it never had one since it was built, though like I said I don't really know much about its life before I got it besides that it didnt have many miles on it, the owner had left it at a shop for a long time, the shop closed, I found the owner by asking around and bought the car.

I'd personally want to be around 15 degrees base and low 30s total. This is how I set the 289 in my Crown Victoria and that really woke it up. I'll be doing the same for the 454 in my dad's Monte Carlo. Maybe less total? Not sure, I'm in CO so it'll probably take it.
From what I've done, 15-20 degrees is where it seems happiest at idle, total advance where it's at also seems happy. Saying that, a vac advance that would only pull 7-8 degrees seems like it would be ideal in my eyes.

I've set the idle to 750 RPM and tuned the idle mixture using an air fuel ratio gauge.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You might be surprised how much timing it'll take. I'm commanding 40+ in the low load areas of my timing maps.