Engine Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94ChevyZ71

Reaction score
My dad just recently bought this 88 k1500 single cab and it needs some work. The guy who had it before really screwed the wiring up. It’s a 350 tbi and the main loom coming out of the firewall on the driver side is cut in half. Also the plug for the loom where it attaches to the firewall is burnt. Does anyone sell replacement engine harnesses or do I need to start looking in junk yards? Ill take some pics of the wires when I get off work. Thanks

Attachments

• AB2F4F16-C53B-4C41-906A-82A58C5E6F3C.jpeg
    AB2F4F16-C53B-4C41-906A-82A58C5E6F3C.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 13

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a "free" truck. All the harnesses that exist are mouse-chewed, and the engine harness you're describing is missing. I'll be shopping at the local Pull-A-Part, and if it comes down to it, I'll even take partial harnesses and splice them together. I think my chances of finding all the harnesses I need intact is fairly poor. Painless does have nice stuff, but they don't have a plug-and-play harness for our trucks. If they did, it would be hella-spensive.

Invest in a nice set of crimpers and buy a bucket of heat-shrink butt splices. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5JW5G9/

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad just recently bought this 88 k1500 single cab and it needs some work. The guy who had it before really screwed the wiring up. It’s a 350 tbi and the main loom coming out of the firewall on the driver side is cut in half. Also the plug for the loom where it attaches to the firewall is burnt. Does anyone sell replacement engine harnesses or do I need to start looking in junk yards? Ill take some pics of the wires when I get off work. Thanks
Sure looks worth saving..

Donor trucks for engine harness: 1988-1990 are the easiest. Same engine (5.7/5.0) and transmission, will go a long way towards success.

Richard

94ChevyZ71

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The original plan was to just splice all the wires back together until I noticed that the plug was melted going into the fire wall. My local LKQ has a decent selection of these trucks but most are picked through by the time I get down there. Looks like finding a donor is gonna be my best bet. Here’s some picks of the wiring that was hacked on.

Attachments

• 360C0FB7-CFD7-462E-B486-53A6B8DBD12D.jpeg
    360C0FB7-CFD7-462E-B486-53A6B8DBD12D.jpeg
    576.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 3B2698F6-5440-4E59-AE55-0C5996FA91A1.jpeg
    3B2698F6-5440-4E59-AE55-0C5996FA91A1.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 78263411-74D4-4777-8AB8-D4366CAE8E87.jpeg
    78263411-74D4-4777-8AB8-D4366CAE8E87.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 25

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The original plan was to just splice all the wires back together until I noticed that the plug was melted going into the fire wall. My local LKQ has a decent selection of these trucks but most are picked through by the time I get down there. Looks like finding a donor is gonna be my best bet. Here’s some picks of the wiring that was hacked on.
Nightmare. I roll my eyes any time I see aftermarket wiring running through a firewall or firewall grommet. No telling the kind of hack job that awaits.

94ChevyZ71

Reaction score
Nightmare. I roll my eyes any time I see aftermarket wiring running through a firewall or firewall grommet. No telling the kind of hack job that awaits.
Yea it’s a nightmare for sure. They cut the wires to the headlights also. Really sucks because the body is straight and the interior would clean up really nice. It’s amazing how quick a ******* with a pair of cutters can destroy a wiring harness

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea it’s a nightmare for sure. They cut the wires to the headlights also. Really sucks because the body is straight and the interior would clean up really nice. It’s amazing how quick a ******* with a pair of cutters can destroy a wiring harness
Check eBay occasionally. If you PM me your VIN, I can look in GMPartsGiant to find the harness part number you might need. That will help you when you search eBay as sometimes the sellers include the part number in the listing. Sometimes more helpful than searching a vaguer phrase like "88 Chevy GMC truck engine harness." Facebook Marketplace is also good to search. I agree with others in that donor truck may be best.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you PM me your VIN, I can look in GMPartsGiant to find the harness PART NUMBER you might need. That will help you when you search eBay as sometimes the sellers include the part number in the listing. Sometimes more helpful than searching a vaguer phrase like "88 Chevy GMC truck engine harness."
^^^ This.

Harnesses can be very application specific. Somewhere on the harness should be a tag. Imho, sometimes things change year to year, different colored wires , different plugs, different options you might or might not have, etc.