Engine dies intermittently

Discussion in '96+ Vortec Performance + Computer Swaps' started by Greg Mck, May 25, 2019.

1. Greg Mck

Greg Mck Newbie

I have a 1996 Silverado with the L31 engine and it has been pretty reliable 90% of the time but recently while driving it will just die without any notice. I pull over and it will start right back up and run and run but out of the blue will die again. Have no clue what could be causing the problem or where to start. Any ideas? It’s pretty much stock except for the dual exhaust.

2. Bodageta1995

Bodageta1995 OBS Enthusiast

Explain the dying with more detail. If gradual, could be a clogged Cat Converter of course could be lots of things.

3. kennythewelder

kennythewelder B31-3 (6-G) certified

Yea, it could be several things. In 1999, I bought a 1994 WT with a new paint job for $3200. I drove the truck for 10 years, but when I got it, it would die like yours. The place I bought the truck, had a new fuel pump for it. So after I got it home, I dropped the fuel tank. It had water in it. Also do you have any code stored on the ECM.

lxe4 likes this.
  4. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind I'm Awesome

Check grounds, see if you have fuel or spark. Maybe the ICM? I am having a similar problem

5. lxe4

lxe4 OBS Enthusiast

Like kenny brought up, start with the basics. Could be contaminated fuel

kennythewelder likes this.
  6. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Does not always play well with others

Typical TBI fuel problem,change your fuel filter first. Then check for stored codes, see if it has spark when it dies.

7. Greg Mck

Greg Mck Newbie

I haven't done anything yet with it but when I say die I mean everything shuts off. One time though I did have a 339 code which is intermittent crank position sensor. I have replaced the crank position sensor a few times using autozone Chinese crap. But the one on there is an A/C delco from napa.