Engine dies intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Mck

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Silverado with the L31 engine and it has been pretty reliable 90% of the time but recently while driving it will just die without any notice. I pull over and it will start right back up and run and run but out of the blue will die again. Have no clue what could be causing the problem or where to start. Any ideas? It’s pretty much stock except for the dual exhaust.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, it could be several things. In 1999, I bought a 1994 WT with a new paint job for $3200. I drove the truck for 10 years, but when I got it, it would die like yours. The place I bought the truck, had a new fuel pump for it. So after I got it home, I dropped the fuel tank. It had water in it. Also do you have any code stored on the ECM.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Silverado with the L31 engine and it has been pretty reliable 90% of the time but recently while driving it will just die without any notice. I pull over and it will start right back up and run and run but out of the blue will die again. Have no clue what could be causing the problem or where to start. Any ideas? It’s pretty much stock except for the dual exhaust.
Check grounds, see if you have fuel or spark. Maybe the ICM? I am having a similar problem

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Typical TBI fuel problem,change your fuel filter first. Then check for stored codes, see if it has spark when it dies.

Greg Mck

Reaction score
I haven't done anything yet with it but when I say die I mean everything shuts off. One time though I did have a 339 code which is intermittent crank position sensor. I have replaced the crank position sensor a few times using autozone Chinese crap. But the one on there is an A/C delco from napa.