engine brackets for a 88 SBC (2 piece aluminum?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the support braces are kept installed then the steel dont break but when those get left off over the yrs causeing the metal to fatigue and fail

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe yours got lost? My 88 has 2 supports for the alternator, I had to modify the other ends for headers and the Edelbrock intake. I too have the steel auxiliary plates and haven't had any cracking...yet, ha ha.

You must be registered for see images attach
Yup, that's the bracket. Rear of alternator down to the exhaust manifold/header area.

If my truck ever had that bracket, I don't remember it. Gonna have to check the Treasure Yard to see if I can find one.

The PS bracket that broke on mine (and others) is the one that bolts to that missing alternator bracket--and I thought both of them were supposed to bolt to the exhaust manifold using the manifold-to-head bolt. My headers have a tubular spacer between the header flange and the PS bracket to make up the difference in thickness between the thin header flange and the thick iron manifold.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought both of them were supposed to bolt to the exhaust manifold using the manifold-to-head bolt. My headers have a tubular spacer between the header flange and the PS bracket to make up the difference in thickness between the thin header flange and the thick iron manifold.
Yes there was a stud/bolt in that hole that the bracket bolted to. I used a grade 8 (because that's what I had) bolt and nut going through the flange. My headers came with that spacer too but it didn't fit right.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
hello fellas, What did you end up doing in the situation pictured? I think all I need is a small piece of flatstock etc..

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My TBI manifold has the threaded holes for those brackets, the one for the A/C compressor is a little far back so I used 3 flat washers at the compressor and a longer bolt. I'm not sure what you can do.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello fellas, What did you end up doing in the situation pictured? I think all I need is a small piece of flatstock etc..
I left mine hanging, just as you did.

Someday, I'll build a different strut that goes to an intake bolt. Since I don't have the Vortec intake bolt pattern, my choices are a little better than yours.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks Shurkey! I will try to make a little bracket.. I remember you from Team Chevelle!

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I "fabbed up" a small bracket etc..Not pretty but functional. Also, can/does the crank balancer bolt do through the crank pulley?