Elizabeth the k1500 build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
figured I would start a build thread on her since I’m constantly doing something with her.

First off she is a 1999 k1500 350 extended cab short bed z71. I got her In November of 2018 by trading one of my old trucks straight across a 05 Colorado with a 4” lift. Got her needing a full size truck to haul with but didn’t need a 2500. She has a brand new crate 350 and 4l60e.
I’ll split the posts up as to what I’ve done and goals.

Reaction score
So first thing I did was I swapped the old wheels from my Colorado to the k1500 cause the previous owner wanted his wheels and I wanted mine. They are xd hoss 16x8 0 offset in black.

Shortly after I ended up changing the oil, putting new pcv valve, new upper intake gaskets, and replaced the spider injection unit with the new style like should have been done when it got the new engine.

I then proceeded to installing new headlights cause factory ones suck they are only eBay special housings but I have plans to upgrade later I just needed something cause I do a lot of night time driving. I also did the 4 high mod.

Then I put a tool box, new brakes in the front, front left axle shaft seal, new cv axle, upper control arms and lower ball joints.

Next while driving home the alternator started growling so did the new ad244 upgrade to 145 amp.

Then swapped all the lights inside and out to led and did the clear needle mod.

After a while got tired of the exhaust leaks and stock exhaust so did a cat back out the back dual in dual out cherry bomb extreme muffler.

Shortly after put new cap, rotor, wires, and ac delco iridium plugs in her.

I proceeded to needing new mirrors so ordered a set of 15+ mirrors with paint matched caps.

Next up was new tail lights but I was very picky on what I wanted I wanted an led look but I didn’t want a led taillight cause if the led goes out you have to replace the whole tail lights so I ordered these led look with circuit board delete from neutron Motorsport and it looks so good. It does have led bulbs just replaceable ones

I then did an led third brake light to match and a new egr valve.

Shortly after switched the oil over to Amsoil full synthetic 5w30. Also put led back up lights on the rear bumper

Next the chrome grill wasn’t doing it for me so ordered new side markers and a new mesh center paint matched grill and put a bolt on z71 emblem.

Next did a new wix transmission filter and new transmission pan with drain plug Amsoil fluid.

Next needed a better stereo so installed 2 under the seat Rockford fosgate 6x9 speakers, rewired the front jvc speakers, installed an amp, installed a new Sony deck, and put in 2 10s on the rear seat it has a really good sound and still not overkill on the bass to me at least.

I shortly after got the front windows tinted 25% and a browl 5% to match the back windows.

Then I added a offroad down pipe from jegs that deleted the cats and brought the truck alive since the cats where shot just spaced out the o2s and no codes now.

Then trying to fix a high idle issue replaced the tps and iac valve.

And up to date put a stock front bumper on cause I hated the light cutout, new front plate bracket and custom flush mount led fog lights.
Also removed the z71 stickers.

Reaction score
Now onto the pics

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Sorry they aren’t in order the pic next to the powerstroke is the current state

Reaction score
So now onto plans for her

Engine: headers
Once warranty is up cam and roller rockers, paint valve covers, black bear tune when this engine goes I want to build a 383 with marine intake but that’s way long down the road

Suspension: I want to do either a 2.5” level lift or 4” lift kinda want to do one that has new knuckles but haven’t found any kits that are that low
Fix the pitman arm(have)

Looks wise: 18 or 20 x10 wheels like the Moto metal breakouts and bigger tires
Trifold Tonneau cover with in bed tool box
Either new body style cab lights or a light bar but leaning more towards light bar.
Rear bumper
Rhec rear window sticker
Led headlight rings with glass housing black background headlights
Boosted auto parts running light mod for the mirrors
Space out rear wheels to match front wheels
Nfab style steps

Other: add another amp
Big 3 upgrade
And probably more as well that I can’t think of

I don’t off-road this truck a lot it sees a backroad but no hardcore mostly just a daily it does haul but heaviest thing is my water trailer otherwise I grab my brothers powerstroke.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I just have to adjust my gear box then it will be perfect the po did that upgrade already

I swapped mine out since it was leaking pretty bad, but it had 290k miles on it when I changed it out. When I was doing the swap I replaced my high pressure line and took the extra step to add in a power steering cooler that I pulled from the salvage yard from a one ton. I probably don't need it, but it can't hurt anything either.

Reaction score
Well did some things to her last week added a bug deflector, retuned the amp for the subs, replaced the door pins, and replaced the original 235k mile rear brakes with new drums, shoes and hardware kit. Truck is doing even better.