Electrical Upgrade? Just do it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was getting low on supplies so I ordered some more to finish this project. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" harness along with 4" & 8" zip ties.
You must be registered for see images attach

Got the connectors pinned in and updated my schematic with all the colors for the exciter wires going to the relays.

Wrapped everything with harnesses and routed it so they will go under the CAI (if I ever do that too, ha ha).

Another view. I wasn't happy with the way the primary feed was routed where it was rubbing on the outside of the mounting frame. I ran it inside and wrapped some harness on it to protect it better.

I've been looking for high temp hi and low beam sockets for my quad sealed beam headlights but I'm not having much luck. These are the 2 pin ones, not the 3 blade used on other models. Anyone have a link to some?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
That looks great! I have one of those expensive Painless Performance fuse blocks on my hot rod and this is a way better option. Biggest gripe that it's limited to 10A fused per circuit split amongst 2 relays. Unfortunately I can't upgrade the wire size on individual circuits since it's the sealed weatherproof version.

Good work!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks great! I have one of those expensive Painless Performance fuse blocks on my hot rod and this is a way better option. Biggest gripe that it's limited to 10A fused per circuit split amongst 2 relays. Unfortunately I can't upgrade the wire size on individual circuits since it's the sealed weatherproof version.
Thanks! This little project was pretty "painless" (pun intended):Big Laugh:

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Looks pretty makeshift to me. I'm sure it will be very disappointing in function.

If I may.... I suggest you send it to me for proper disposal. I'll even pay the shipping.;);) :D:D:D

Ken

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I may.... I suggest you send it to me for proper disposal. I'll even pay the shipping.;);) :D:D:D
I'll trade you for your engine out of your 90 (once it's built). :Big Laugh:
I think I saw you over on Gearhead-EFI? :head3:

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I'll trade you for your engine out of your 90 (once it's built). :Big Laugh:
I think I saw you over on Gearhead-EFI? :head3:

Welllllllllll Maybeeeeeeeeee hahahahaha:anitoof:

Yes I have been over there posting and getting some ideas/tips to make that as painless as possible when I get to that point. Feeling pretty stupid at this point. Hoping to get a little smarter as time goes by.:confused:

Ken

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Continued from post #2.

Here's what it looks like installed. I have the sub woofer being fed with a 10ga wire (above and to the right of the light reel), and the A/C compressor clutch below (red and yellow wires).

Here's a view from above.

And finally with the covers on.

The connectors I ordered are supposed to arrive later this week. Then I'll install them and finish cleaning it up. I also ordered ones for 10 - 12ga.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075LZGX4T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If/when I do the big 3 upgrade I will get rid of the positive side terminal, right now it won't reach the top post terminal.

I spent over a week on this, mainly waiting on supplies. I have maybe 12 hours all together on it and ~$250 including tools. Is this a little overkill? what do you think? Don't forget, my 88 doesn't have an OE fuse box in the engine compartment so this is kind of its replacement. Cheers!

That's sexy right there!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's sexy right there!
Thanks, it was a fun project. Makes me want to do the big 3 and 4 hi mods next but I have to get back to building the cabinets for our dining room. I did this while waiting for the stain to dry before applying the lacquer on the face frames and drawer fronts.