Electric fans suck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fans look like all the cheapo ones do. But has a nice shroud. It's not one of those situations where they are attached to the radiator lol

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the fans are probably aftermarket cheapos.
I think you would find with your bigger radiator a mechanical fan on one side and an electric assist fan on the other with a shroud that properly covers to help and free up HP.

also you can get that idle performance helped, pusher fan as well. were the electrics fan blades the right direction????also
pic of your setup before and after? Pics or it didnt happen
Flexalite flex wave 3,000 cfm fans. Fans were the correct direction. I tried electrics for improved efficiency.

The first electric setup was Police Tahoe fans. 454/8.1 dual core 34x17 radiator.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the 34x19 radiator and Flexalite fans. These suckers draw nearly 50 amps on high.

This is the duramax blade on a severe duty TBSS thermal clutch.

This is the Tahoe fan test, I put them on in cool weather. In 40°F weather with a 170°F thermostat it took 30 minutes of idling to even get it up to 185°F for the fans to even come on low speed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This was the flexalite fan test I made.

This was the duramax at warm idle with the ac on. Clutch engaged. Duramax fan by far out performed the electrics even at idle. It would suck a towl into the grille from a foot away at idle.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The police crown Victoria, are equipped with large electric fan. Heavy duty, long idle times, AC has to work, all the time. Probly engineered for reliability and hard use. Wonder if it would fit?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The police crown Victoria, are equipped with large electric fan. Heavy duty, long idle times, AC has to work, all the time. Probly engineered for reliability and hard use. Wonder if it would fit?
Yes, they fit. So do the fans off of a Ford mini van. I have a set of dual Cadillac DeVille fans on my truck. They have been on there for several years. They work grate. The AC is ice cold at idle, as well as crewsing speeds. My truck never overheats, and the DeVille fans are quite. A lot less noise than any aftermarket fans I have ever seen. I did the complete install for around $100. As for than huge clutch fan, ( 9 blade I think) well I tried one, and hated it. That's one loud, roaring power robbing SOB, IMO.

Attachments

• 20180506_185108.jpg
    20180506_185108.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20180530_201051.jpg
    20180530_201051.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 34
  • 20180525_105440.jpg
    20180525_105440.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 34

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, they fit. So do the fans off of a Ford mini van. I have a set of dual Cadillac DeVille fans on my truck. They have been on there for several years. They work grate. The AC is ice cold at idle, as well as crewsing speeds. My truck never overheats, and the DeVille fans are quite. A lot less noise than any aftermarket fans I have ever seen. I did the complete install for around $100. As for than huge clutch fan, ( 9 blade I think) well I tried one, and hated it. That's one loud, roaring power robbing SOB, IMO.

I don't even notice the clutch fan except for immediately after cold startup, in long periods of stop and go or idling around town or running uphill with a heavy trailer. The fan in my 99 Tahoe was the big tow package one and it rarely fully engaged either. I put Tahoe electrics on the Tahoe and it cooled ok, but not as well as the mechanical fan. Tahoe has the factory pusher on it. When I stabbed the 8.1 in the Tahoe, I used the duramax fan I had on the van. If I can find the taller GMT400 radiator mounts, I will recycle the vans all aluminum 34x19 radiator into the Tahoe.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flexalite flex wave 3,000 cfm fans. Fans were the correct direction. I tried electrics for improved efficiency.

The first electric setup was Police Tahoe fans. 454/8.1 dual core 34x17 radiator.

This is the 34x19 radiator and Flexalite fans. These suckers draw nearly 50 amps on high.

This is the duramax blade on a severe duty TBSS thermal clutch.

This is the Tahoe fan test, I put them on in cool weather. In 40°F weather with a 170°F thermostat it took 30 minutes of idling to even get it up to 185°F for the fans to even come on low speed.

This was the flexalite fan test I made.

This was the duramax at warm idle with the ac on. Clutch engaged. Duramax fan by far out performed the electrics even at idle. It would suck a towl into the grille from a foot away at idle.

no offense but those blades are making me suspicious of their ability

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't even notice the clutch fan except for immediately after cold startup, in long periods of stop and go or idling around town or running uphill with a heavy trailer. The fan in my 99 Tahoe was the big tow package one and it rarely fully engaged either. I put Tahoe electrics on the Tahoe and it cooled ok, but not as well as the mechanical fan. Tahoe has the factory pusher on it. When I stabbed the 8.1 in the Tahoe, I used the duramax fan I had on the van. If I can find the taller GMT400 radiator mounts, I will recycle the vans all aluminum 34x19 radiator into the Tahoe.
Yeah, we have kind of had this discussion before. As much as you hate E-fans, is about as much as hate clutch fans. Been there done that, and don't like clutch fans. I do admit that there are some crappy E-fans out there though. That's why, I chose fans off of a Cadillac DeVille. I figured, they would be a good choice over a lot of other E-fans. Point is, there are good E-fans out there, and there are garbage E-fans out there. I will never go back to a clutch fan again though. The real difference between our preference is simple though. You use your truck as a tow vehicle. I never pull anything with mine.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no offense but those blades are making me suspicious of their ability
None taken, but I am suspicious of any electric being adequate in the climate I am in. This bad boy moves far more cfm than the best electric.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, we have kind of had this discussion before. As much as you hate E-fans, is about as much as hate clutch fans. Been there done that, and don't like clutch fans. I do admit that there are some crappy E-fans out there though. That's why, I chose fans off of a Cadillac DeVille. I figured, they would be a good choice over a lot of other E-fans. Point is, there are good E-fans out there, and there are garbage E-fans out there. I will never go back to a clutch fan again though. The real difference between our preference is simple though. You use your truck as a tow vehicle. I never pull anything with mine.
I am also pulling around more weight and have a much more cramped engine compartment. I also have alot more a/c heat load from the condenser than you do being dissapated into the air before the radiator. The 383 also has alot more heat being rejected to the cooling system than a 350. More fuel burning, more power and more heat.