Electric Fans, double nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you hope to gain by deleting the EGR?

The gain is losing the filth that ends up in the engine oil. LPG keeps engine oil really clean so I'd like to avoid sulliying it with EGR. Not just the oil - all of that (hot) filth is flowing past all the injection kit in the manifold (heating the manifold and the varnish prone poppets) and it would make fitting headers easier too should I choose to do that. The LPG system adjusts the mixture from O2 sensor signals so no additional recalibration of fuelling required either. Nothing but wins as far as I can see.

I totally get the reasons behind EGR and rip the **** out of those in the UK deleting it in their diesels but Vortecs aren't filling their cylinders with 4bar of boost so the NOx levels are nowhere close to that of diesels. And, where NOx is most harmful - city use - I'm out in the sticks so nobody gets poisoned.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're wildly overreacting to EGR. Filth in the engine oil? Really?

Yes, deleting the EGR will make installing headers about two percent easier, and maybe fifty or a hundred dollars less expensive.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you're wildly overreacting to EGR. Filth in the engine oil? Really?

Only slightly but I've yet to see a diesel with EGR with remotely clean oil. Keeping the inlet manifold clean and cool makes it worthwhile IMO.

Yes, deleting the EGR will make installing headers about two percent easier, and maybe fifty or a hundred dollars less expensive.

I'll take that - cheers!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The gain is losing the filth that ends up in the engine oil. LPG keeps engine oil really clean so I'd like to avoid sulliying it with EGR. Not just the oil - all of that (hot) filth is flowing past all the injection kit in the manifold (heating the manifold and the varnish prone poppets) and it would make fitting headers easier too should I choose to do that. The LPG system adjusts the mixture from O2 sensor signals so no additional recalibration of fuelling required either. Nothing but wins as far as I can see.

I totally get the reasons behind EGR and rip the **** out of those in the UK deleting it in their diesels but Vortecs aren't filling their cylinders with 4bar of boost so the NOx levels are nowhere close to that of diesels. And, where NOx is most harmful - city use - I'm out in the sticks so nobody gets poisoned.
This is interesting, you should do a write up on converting from gas to LPG. IMO, this is what the enviromentliest should be pushing for. It makes a lot more sense to me than going electric.

pieceofchevy

Reaction score
if your modern engine runs too cool the ECM will not let it go into an open-loop and it will fun rich. i makes no sense to try to outthink the engineers. they spent millions it would be cheaper for them to run it cooler so there must be a reason ut runs what it does.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if your modern engine runs too cool the ECM will not let it go into an open-loop and it will fun rich. i makes no sense to try to outthink the engineers. they spent millions it would be cheaper for them to run it cooler so there must be a reason ut runs what it does.
They go into closed loop in the 110-140°F range depending on year and calibration. On the 2002 0411 calibration short term fuel trims become active as soon as the 02 sensors start to register. Less than a minute on a 40°F cold start in my 97 Express with the 2002 PCM swap.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soot is the primary cause of rapid oil blackening in EGR equipped diesel engines, not the EGR system itself. In the industrial and heavy equipment world, the Tier 4 Interim engines were /are the worst. These were pre-SCR (pre DEF injection) engines that used overfueling and EGR to lower combustion temperatures to reduce NOx and meet emissions. They produced more soot from the overfueling, and then recycled that soot laden exhaust into the intake system, leading to high soot concentrations in the oil. They have a tendency to plug EGR coolers, coke valves, and plug DPF's. SCR engines (Tier 4 Final) use DEF injection for their primary NOx reduction strategy, and consequently don't have the overfueling and high soot production issues of the T4I engines. There's still EGR, the oil still gets black as soon as the engine starts, but it's LESS of a problem.

In contrast, gasoline engines running at or slightly leaner than stoich don't make soot, at least none worth noting. You'll see as much or more contamination of the intake tract from the PCV system as the EGR on most gasoline engines. Blowby is still the primary cause of oil contamination and breakdown, but is present in all piston engines and is just a given.

Here's what you need to do: build a draw through turbo system for your LPG rig, and get an Altronics NOx feedback system to kick in and control fueling during steady state cruising. That will accomplish the same thing as EGR as far as combustion temp reduction, increase your fuel economy on LPG, and make for a cleaner, more environmentally friendly truck overall. Not to mention a healthy horsepower gain over an NA LPG engine. You'll only need to fabricate your own draw-through LPG and turbocharger setup, and cobble together the control system from the factory ECM and the Altronics system. Small potatoes, right?

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There been a lot of times I wonder what the he** gm engineers were thinking, when I’m working on my truck. I know a lot of you out there feel the same way. Do you know the temperature range of open loop is for 1990 and what your O2 sensor does. But This is a recommendation based on knowing Bobbies situation.What you saying doesn’t apply to a carburetored 502 and he has a two row radiator. He is in a area the sees 115 degree days and his temperature reaches 230. I don’t care what anyone says 230 is way to high especially with aluminum heads. Also my truck is a procharged tbi 1990 454 doesn’t go above 190 and my total cfm is 4000 with a three row radiator.I have never had a problem and it has never run rich. If I ever had a problem,I would rather run a little rich then warp a head or blow a head gasket. Also with the ability to change a thermostat to a different temp and the adjustable Dakota thermostatic fan controller you have a lot of flexibility. The only thing I my be a little over the top on is recommending 2 3000 cfm fan. But with the extremely hot weather his truck sees, probably not. Here in Oregon we don’t see temps over a 100 very often. Right or wrong your entitled to your opinion, this is only my personal recommendation. Based on my experience. Just make sure when your talkng technical stats, you have and give the information to back it up.

Last edited: