Electric Fans, double nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if my temp situation doesn't improve to my satiisfction I guess the logical step is electric fans.
Here's my thoughts******
They say a BBC needs over 4100 CFM, tall order to be sure right
One big 16 incher or 2 12" ??????
Shroud or not ????
Will I have to upgrade my alternator ??
Any other words of wisdom ????
Thanks
Bobby V

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about a big block but I added an electric fan to my 99' 2 door Tahoe. My truck wasn't running hot, I mainly added it for insurance and to pull air across the condensor when the AC's on in traffic or driving around slow to help keep the AC blowing cooler. I used a 16" Flex a Lite fan inside the shroud in conjunction with my belt driven fan. I used a Painless wiring relay and wiring kit and a Hypertech fan switch mounted in the drivers side cylinder head. It kicks the fans on if the temp hits around 200 to 210 and I have it wired to kick on when the AC is turned on. Works like a champ!
I was running a stock alternator and never had an issue but eventually changed to a Powermaster high output model after I added the winch and all the lights up front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There with be a plug in the head in this location. It will have a square "hole" in it, It is NOT 3/8" ! I bought a special socket from the Snap On guy to take it out. I went with Snap On because I didnt want to take the chance of a cheap tool destroying the plug and having issues getting it out. Wire brush around it, spray good penetrating fluid on and let it soak before starting....and oh yeah Drain the coolant!! Lol
You must be registered for see images attach

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see a square plug between #6 and #8 (towards the rear of motor), but my exhaust gasket might be covering up any plug between #2 and #4.

What sending unit/switch did you use, do you have a part number by any chance?

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a gallon ziplock bag full of receipts from the stuff I've done to the truck....it'll take a little bit to locate it! Lol! I'll see what I can do.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks mtl!

It looks as though that would be the kind of sensor/switch I would like to use--the other options I've looked at seem a bit, well, crude......

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it was good that I looked because everthing I used is made by Be Cool !lol
I guess I've had too many projects through the years, they're starting to run together!
You must be registered for see images attach