Electric fan sensor location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do exactly what kennythewelder showed you there. That’s going to be the BEST way for your fan on off switch to function. The ecm when you do the 411 swap will use the temp sender that’s in the intake just to the side of the stat housing to do the same thing plus all the other controls etc. the side of the cyl Head is a bad spot for an on/off switch off switch. The temp does not vary much nor do you want it to.
Not arguing but I am a little confused as the factory did this in more than a few applications. My '88 T/A with the TPI engine had the aux fan switch in the passenger side head (or was it in the block? wow that was decades ago now; memory is fuzzy) - and my '96 C3500 7.4 had it in the passenger side head for sure.

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not arguing but I am a little confused as the factory did this in more than a few applications. My '88 T/A with the TPI engine had the aux fan switch in the passenger side head (or was it in the block? wow that was decades ago now; memory is fuzzy) - and my '96 C3500 7.4 had it in the passenger side head for sure.

Richard
Yes, Ive seen it in the head too. For me, it was just easier to do the thermo housing. IMO ether one would work. I have seen them in E fan kits where they are in the upper rad hose. IMO that just look like crap.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard
Yes, Ive seen it in the head too. For me, it was just easier to do the thermo housing. IMO ether one would work. I have seen them in E fan kits where they are in the upper rad hose. IMO that just look like crap.

I'm gonna try mine in the passenger head just because I can pull a plug out and put it there easier, like I said I don't wanna get crazy cause once I do the 0411 swap the ecm will control the fans, just looking to make it work till the swap is done. Was looking for ease of install for the moment. The temp gauge sensor is I'm drivers head I don't think the passenger head would be much different, I'll keep my eyes on the temp gauge either way to make sure it works ok there and report back with results

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can weld like he can but man the polishing lmao...that takes Zen like patients!
I used to think the same thing before I learned how. Its a process. A lot like painting. First the metal needs to be sanded smooth, with course paper the med, then fine. This can all be done with a DA sander. For my bow tie, I didnt need to start with course, just med, then fine, then polish with white jewelers rouge, then hand buff with white dimmond metal polish. You cam see the tools I used in one of the pics. I sanded them, polished the big one, painted the small one, and wired it with LEDs in 1 afternoon. The LEDs are on the back of the black bow tie.
You must be registered for see images attach

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
This thread looks pretty full, but I figured I'd chime in and add a ditto on putting fan control in the thermostat housing. Of course should it be a permanent thing...I know you said the plans were temporary until your 0411 swap.

I've tried both methods. Initially put a sensor in the passenger-side head and the fans ran a lot more (unnecessarily). Setting up my fan temperature controller was also much less consistent and sort of a pain. I bought the same brand thermostat housing spacer that Big G mentioned earlier, just an anodized version for a little extra corrosion resistance. Solved my fan cycling/running all the time!

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
would this work?

Yeah I have seen those but usually for older sbc setups, I'm not sure if same for a vortec tho.
I'm gonna use the passenger head till I get the swap done, don't wanna buy parts I won't use after the swap .

Last edited: