Electric Cooling Fan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JavaMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sensor better be set to fairly low temperature.

I don't know why you'd want to "sense" the coldest coolant in the system when the point of the fan is to prevent excess operating temperature. "I" would want to sense the hottest coolant in the system.
The fan only needs to run when the natural airflow is insufficient, so when the coolant from the radiator is still to warm.
When driving, the 55+ MPH wind forces enough airflow through the radiator to cool the engine. So the fan is not needed, and in many cars the ECU will turn off the electric fan.
When you slow down, stop, are towing, going up steep incline, etc. the natural airflow may not be sufficient, and the electric fan should come on.

Put the sensor in a hotter spot you just keep your fan running more often. This just puts unnecessary wear on your electric fan and alternator.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are two sensors in the truck related to temp. One right where the thermostat is and another between one and three. Can I should I use one of those locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dually, with the older style blackbox, came with an auxiliary pusher fan. I'm pretty sure the TBI trucks had this as an option on the heavy duties, and I know the 7747 TBI ECM can be configured to run an electric fan. I'll see if I can snag a screenshot of my 98-00 blackbox software, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing electric fan control in there as well.

My '93 GMC K2500 454 TBI has a small pusher fan in front of the A/C condenser. Is that what you're talking about or is it in front of the radiator?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ether location will work, but you need to add another sensor. Summit racing, and Jegs sale a spacer that fits under the thermosat housing to give you a place to add a new sensor. You should not remove one of the OE sensors and replace it with one for your fans. It would be better to add the sensor for the fan. Most setups I have seen, have the sensor on the upper radiator hose, thermostat housing area. Here are pics of mine.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you look at my pics, thats what I have.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
U custom made yours though. Anyone have one that they bought. I ordered a spectra seemed to match best with the o ring gasket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk