Electric Cooling Fan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here are 2 examples of the trap doors I mentioned.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NOOOOO! The lower hose is cold. Any location not in the head or the intake manifold is a dangerous situation.

While I would not mecessarily install it in the lower hose if it is merely a fam switch it will not be dangerous at all to install in the thermostat housing. As mentioned previously you must have coolant circulation to cool the emgine anyway.

That being said my thermostatic fan switch for my transmission cooling fan is installed in the outlet fitting of the auxiliary cooler. Running down the road with adequate airflow it stays cool enough to keep the fan from running. If the switch had been in the inlet of the auxiliary cooler the fan would run nearly indefinately. I tried it both ways and the trans temp sensor in the transmission pressure switch mounted on the valvebody saw less than 5°F difference.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Since some of my wiring for the ac switch has to run on the passenger side I was thinking of using this port for the fan temp sensor. It's toward the rear of the bank 2 head. Just get another factory sensor and connector. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a really good previous thread on this topic. The pic is of my '95 5.7 set-up and sensor location on the spacer below the thermo. My dual fans (on/off) is wire into the ac pressure switches green wire.

Electric fan swap, on the cheap

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why aren't more of you using the PCM to control the fan? You can have a hysteris with the PCM, choose your own on/off, have it turn off at speed, and have it turn back on at speed if you're overheating. It can run based off of AC pressure, and can control duals in either a series parallel configuration for hi/low speeds or just on/off.