Electric actuator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
What year electric actuator will work in my 92 that is not thermal I need the 2 wire actuator

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're upgrading to the electronic actuator you need the wiring harness that goes with it to convert from the truck's two pin connector to the four pin on the new actuator. The Dorman part number for the harness is 600-600. I believe the only mod you have to do is install a new ground wire for the actuator, but don't quote me on that as my '97 Suburban is still running a thermal style.

Thanks to @grampadirt for posting that part number a while back in a different thread.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I got mine from a junkyard, but you are probably going to want to buy a new one. You would have to find one that had been converted from a thermal because there is a metal spacer in there to make up for the shorter actuator. Factory equipped ones had a longer rod built in and lack the spacer.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im wanting to.run mine off a toggle switch so I had the option of 2 low is that kit a direct fit for thermal
I have mine ran to a toggle switch. Via the 4wd sensor in the transfer case. The 4 wire actuator is power in and out. So you'd need a DPDT switch to power it directly. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Also. I HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST running it in 2 wheel low. I've done it. And the front diff really doesn't like it. I don't know why but it tries to bind up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also. I HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST running it in 2 wheel low. I've done it. And the front diff really doesn't like it. I don't know why but it tries to bind up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The front diff shouldn’t be connected to the axles if done correctly when in 2wd low and so I don’t know how it can possibly bind?

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
I seen it done ... just no longer in contact with who did it that's why I need a part number or a year for the elec accuator

Frank Compagnon

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the there were only two styles of actuators, the electric one and the heated one, and they were noticeably different. But both have the same thread and will interchange except the electric one's plunger is about 3/4-1'' shorter, that's why the Dorman 600/600 kit is needed, it comes with a solid spacer. Or you could make a spacer and wire it up with a toggle switch, like a stand-alone unit.