Electric 4WD Actuator Wiring Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickP

Reaction score
The thermal 4WD actuator on my 96 K1500 is non-op so I’d like to replace it with the newer version electronic actuator. The actuator is widely available but the shop who will do the work said the Chevy dealer they get part from list the wiring harness as NLA. Is there a source producing a high quality version of this harness. I’m not interested in Chinese junk, I’d prefer a small vendor if possible. Thanks

Nick

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a dorman kit it has been fine for 5 years . I added a dash switch to brown wire so I can use lo range in 2wd for backing trailers up my steep drive. Dorman p/n 600-600 I think

NickP

Reaction score
New electric actuator and wiring harness now installed. The truck goes into 4WD when the lever is pulled, no delay. That problem is solved.

Next up are decent headlights and an upgraded radio ; a new 5vortec7 wiring harness is hopefully on the way soon, and I’ll swap in single DIN radio with Bluetooth (and new speakers) when the Sony I want is available again. The chip shortage has greatly limited the supply of various consumer electronic products.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next up are decent headlights
The truck came with "decent" headlights.

The plastic lenses used on most headlights are a crime against nature, the Feds should force a recall of all of them; and demand a lifetime warranty on their replacements.

Cloudy plastic aside, there's nothing wrong with the headlights that checking for, and repairing low voltage across the bulbs won't fix.

In conjunction with wire-harness repair/modificaton, make sure the headlights are AIMED PROPERLY.

You do NOT need to buy aftermarket junk Chinese "HID" or "LED" bulbs.

You need:
1. Clear lenses,
2. Adequate voltage and good ground, and
3. You need them pointed in the right direction.

As a rule, all three of those things are likely to be faulty. Cramming in cheap "aftermarket" bulbs fixes nothing.

NickP

Reaction score
Thanks, and thats my plan. I have ordered a wiring harness with relays from 5vortec7 that should help with voltage. Once I do that, I’ll likely put new bulbs in and make sure they are aimed correctly.

I abhor using any cheap aftermarket crap anywhere, anytime on any of my cars. Made in China = no go for me.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your 96 K1500 had thermal? My 95 has electric motor actuator. My 91 had thermal. I converted it to manual activation.