Egr delete- Plug egr hole on manifold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin22

Reaction score
Anyone out there done this before on their vortec? What did you use to plug the hole where the egr pipe goes into the header? The computer I got has the egr tuned out.
I plugged mine with a drilled out 18mm non fouler
Anyone out there done this before on their vortec? What did you use to plug the hole where the egr pipe goes into the header? The computer I got has the egr tuned out.
Who tuned your pcm did you send it out some where? I plugged the hole and didn't figure I had to do this and it's running like **** lol ...fast ...but like **** lol

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I need mine tuned out too, but don't know who or where to have it done. Previous owner installed headers, so the port is blocked off, but EGR still installed, and plugged in.

Got a CEL for it, and the fumes are so bad sitting at a drive thru, I almost have to shut it off, from my eyes burning.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need mine tuned out too, but don't know who or where to have it done. Previous owner installed headers, so the port is blocked off, but EGR still installed, and plugged in.

Got a CEL for it, and the fumes are so bad sitting at a drive thru, I almost have to shut it off, from my eyes burning.
Gotta assume blackbear can tune it out, so should just about any shop that has a dyno.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Thanks @red98
The closest tuning shop I know of, is about 1.5 to 2 hours away, and think they just mess with newer stuff.

Sent Black Bear a message, so we'll see what they say.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

EGR isn't active at idle. Deleting EGR isn't going to cause problems at idle, 'cause it wouldn't be working anyway. Something else is wrong.

Eye-watering exhaust is almost always a misfire problem. Connect a scan tool, look at codes, but more important, look at the data stream. If this is '96+, you'll want to pay particular attention to the cylinder misfire counts.

Once you know which cylinder(s) are misfiring, you can check them for compression, vacuum leaks, fueling or spark problems.

And, of course, your catalyst is probably ruined.

Deleting EGR is borderline crazy. EGR is not hurting anything, doesn't rob power at heavy throttle. Has the theoretical ability to improve fuel economy (but not by much.) The only actual complaint is that it makes the inside of the intake manifold "dirty", which is only a problem in extreme cases.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Thanks @red98
The closest tuning shop I know of, is about 1.5 to 2 hours away, and think they just mess with newer stuff.

Sent Black Bear a message, so we'll see what they say.

I called pcmforless n he helped me out quick. Think they have a shop in the Carolinas. Website has an easy to fill out order form n turnaround was quick. He even called me to double check everything before he tuned it. Thi k it was sent n returned in about 4 or 5 days.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
EGR isn't active at idle. Deleting EGR isn't going to cause problems at idle, 'cause it wouldn't be working anyway. Something else is wrong.

Eye-watering exhaust is almost always a misfire problem. Connect a scan tool, look at codes, but more important, look at the data stream. If this is '96+, you'll want to pay particular attention to the cylinder misfire counts.

Once you know which cylinder(s) are misfiring, you can check them for compression, vacuum leaks, fueling or spark problems.

And, of course, your catalyst is probably ruined.

Deleting EGR is borderline crazy. EGR is not hurting anything, doesn't rob power at heavy throttle. Has the theoretical ability to improve fuel economy (but not by much.) The only actual complaint is that it makes the inside of the intake manifold "dirty", which is only a problem in extreme cases.
No misfire codes, just the one related to the EGR, don't remember what it was right off, I'll have to check it again.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Got an email back from Black Bear, saying they would not turn off my EGR, as it would violate the Clean Air act.

May just have to ride to Mooresville, and see if they'll look at it.