EFI conversion???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddie7644

Reaction score
I have a 98 Silverado just put a 383 L31 block in it now I want to upgrade the fuel system with EFI and get rid of the CPFI. This will be a daily driver so it needs to pass emissions and no check engine light. Hoping to hold 500hp. What do I do??? Thank you for all your help

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 Silverado just put a 383 L31 block in it now I want to upgrade the fuel system with EFI and get rid of the CPFI. This will be a daily driver so it needs to pass emissions and no check engine light. Hoping to hold 500hp. What do I do??? Thank you for all your help
Upgrade the spider to electronic MPFI, that'll increase reliability and give you the EFI you're looking for. It's $300-400 on rock auto. If you've got a couple/few grand to throw at it, get a marine intake with the Bosch style injectors and better heads to flow the air that it will take to take advantage of the added fuel flow headroom, or go with an Edelbrock or Holley EFI system. Have you upgraded the valvetrain or heads, or are you rolling stock?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

eddie7644

Reaction score
So Switching to the MPFI is still only 19lb/hr flow rate. That will in my understanding only run a comfortable 380 hp. I was looking at the efi systems but they are stand alone they run their own pcm it’s mainly for going from carb to efi. Which lies the problem with the unused connectors which will trigger the check engine light. I’m hoping to get 500 crank hp somewhere in that ball park just don’t know how far I’m going to go but I want the capability in fuel injection to do so.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So Switching to the MPFI is still only 19lb/hr flow rate. That will in my understanding only run a comfortable 380 hp. I was looking at the efi systems but they are stand alone they run their own pcm it’s mainly for going from carb to efi. Which lies the problem with the unused connectors which will trigger the check engine light. I’m hoping to get 500 crank hp somewhere in that ball park just don’t know how far I’m going to go but I want the capability in fuel injection to do so.
My goal is 500 crank with the L31 intake manifold on my 383. AUS injection makes 36, 48 and 62 lb/hr spiders for the Vortec engines. Stock manifold can be ported to flow alot better than stock.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My goal is 500 crank with the L31 intake manifold on my 383. AUS injection makes 36, 48 and 62 lb/hr spiders for the Vortec engines. Stock manifold can be ported to flow alot better than stock.
Now that's something I need for my engine build! Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be a daily driver so it needs to pass emissions and no check engine light.
That's a conundrum! 500HP AND pass emissions. Do they do a rolling dyno and inspection or just the quick OBDII check? You can always swap a 0411 and tune out the CEL. Not that you can't get the "Black Box" tuned too.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a conundrum! 500HP AND pass emissions. Do they do a rolling dyno and inspection or just the quick OBDII check? You can always swap a 0411 and tune out the CEL. Not that you can't get the "Black Box" tuned too.

Quick OBD2 test here but they also do a visual. They are starting to crack down more and more on non-stock appearing setups. My headers are emission legal Thorleys. The only emissions items I have tuned out currently are the EGR and the evap pressure sensor. On the new setup I will run EGR again. I cam easily add the evap pressure sensor should the need arrive. The EGR though really helps cool the combustion chamber temps and I need that for running on pump gas with the small cam (Rhoads V-Max lifters make it ~195/204 @ 0.050 at lower engine speeds) and 11:1 compression. My goal is 500hp and "smog legal" along with stock MPG. My cam is mild enough I am sure I could pass the sniffer if it ever comes to that. Three ways to get air into the engine. Displacement, Head Flow and Cam. I have Displacement and Head Flow with a mild 215/224 cam (removed the Lunati Bootlegger 232/244 and went back to the smaller cam to work better under the truck intake) and 1.7 rockers. With the 1.7 rockers I have 0.578" lift and the ported heads with 210cc runners flow 291 cfm @ 0.550" and 299 @ 0.600. Actually kinda wish I had a 400 small block or even a 415 small block (4.125 x 3.875) via a 4.125" bore via a Dart SHP 1-piece rear seal, 350 main size, factory roller cam compatible block.

I am actually swapping my 5.13 gears back to 4.56s and installing electric fans and an electric water pump. My MPG was only down 1-2 mpg compared to the stock 350/4L60E and 3.42 gears on the highway and was equal to stock in the city.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No reason can’t make power and pass emissions. I’m in the worst state behind Commifornia for emissions n all the LS guys pass. I’m gonna be building a 406 for my Tahoe, and should be putting out bout 1.25 or so per cubic inch. I have a Ramjet set up, but will use a 0411 ECM. Debating on making it a 433....