ECU/sensor Wiring Help - Looking for words of wisdom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stepping outside my comfort zone and hoping ya’ll can look over my shoulder and review my plan BEFORE I get in over my head! Not knowing what I don't makes me nervous.

I’ve got a problem in the wiring between the camshaft position sensor and the Vehicle Control Module (VCM). So, I'm wanting to cut/splice and land the three CMP wires where they belong - basically, bypass the harness and wire it independently.

Below is the Haynes diagram. Then I found this pinout which shows what physical pins correspond to the CMP wires. I’ve pulled the plug on the VCM and the wire colors/pins match as expected.

Is this as “easy” as pulling new wire from the CMP to the ECU and connecting into these pins? Haynes shows pin#4 Ignition Feed connecting to several other sensors – so I’m thinking that I shouldn’t cut that one at the VCM, but instead splice my new wire onto the wire coming out of that pin.

I’ll try to pull the wires out of the back of the plugs to do the job neatly. But if that proves to be a major pita, are the butt splice crimp connectors a legitimate alternative?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Funny" story. When I was swapping the trans, I smashed a 3-wire loom between the bell housing and the block. It didnt cut any of the wires but there was some bare copper exposed so I painted it with liquid electrical tape, wrapped it, and moved on. Foolishness. Pure foolishness. Its thrown a P0340 ever since.
I've tested the three wires at the CMP sensor (one should be hot, one ground) and they weren't right - though it'd take a minute to recreate the exact findings of that test.