Ecm delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but if I know my transmission is not computer controlled is it possible to just switch over the intake throw on the carburetor and just get rid of the damn computer completely? 1992 k 1500.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When everything is working right, the TBI system is so seamless and perfect that it's CRAZY to remove it and throw on a carb.

Figure out what's wrong, fix it, and enjoy trouble-free operation, longer engine life, longer oil life, and (probably) better fuel economy than the typical carb.

You'd need an intake manifold, carb, and a distributor. You'll have to re-wire the torque converter clutch. You'll need a carb that has a proper-geometry connection for the TH700 TV cable, and it's not the same as the kickdown cable for a TH350. You'll probably have issues with the catalytic converter due to over-rich mixture. The cruise control may not work--not sure about that. The A/C may kill the engine at idle unless you jack-up the idle speed.

TBI is so reliable that it makes a carb engine look silly. They're not perfect, but they're generally not difficult to fix, either.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And you can't tine a carb to run as efficient as tbi. It's allways at sea level or way high in the hills looking to keep that prime air/fuel ratio. Carb is fixed settings for local environment.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When everything is working right, the TBI system is so seamless and perfect that it's CRAZY to remove it and throw on a carb.

Figure out what's wrong, fix it, and enjoy trouble-free operation, longer engine life, longer oil life, and (probably) better fuel economy than the typical carb.

You'd need an intake manifold, carb, and a distributor. You'll have to re-wire the torque converter clutch. You'll need a carb that has a proper-geometry connection for the TH700 TV cable, and it's not the same as the kickdown cable for a TH350. You'll probably have issues with the catalytic converter due to over-rich mixture. The cruise control may not work--not sure about that. The A/C may kill the engine at idle unless you jack-up the idle speed.

TBI is so reliable that it makes a carb engine look silly. They're not perfect, but they're generally not difficult to fix, either.
The goal really is to just have a 300 hp engine with about 380 foot pounds of torque. It’s a 92 truck with a 95 engine. I have done all of the ultimate Tbi mods meticulously, I have the Edelbrock performer Tbi Intake, long tube headers, summit 1102 cam all sitting on a bench and stand along with new timing chain oil pump head bolts etc. not trying to racist thing I just love it a bunch and I wanted to have some more power to tow my trailer. The 300, 385 things seems to be pretty consistent in what I’ve read. My biggest dilemma is figuring out this computer thing I am about as anti-tech as they get. I’m the guy that would still make a phone call using smoke signals if people understood them. Really just looking for a recipe or some kind of solution to my computer problem.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put in a TH400...no more computer to deal with.

Totally agree with Schurkey and GoToGuy though...TBI is way more efficient than a carb.