EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads - Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can speed the bedding process by cooking those ******** with about 6 not quite threshold stops from 60. Again, don't come to a complete stop, get them hot and stinky. Over the next few days they'll do their thing and become one with the rotors.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wanted to update after I've had a little more time driving on everything. This setup is awesome. Way more stopping power than the 'burb has ever had before. As an added bonus it drives so much nicer with some stiffer sidewall tires. I did notice today (first time driving around with all the windows down since the new parts were put on) that the slotted rotors do make a little bit of noise, it's a slight crackling sound that varies with wheel speed. It's not loud enough that you'd notice it unless you knew in advance, though.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the results and would recommend these parts to anyone looking to upgrade.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wanted to update after I've had a little more time driving on everything. This setup is awesome. Way more stopping power than the 'burb has ever had before. As an added bonus it drives so much nicer with some stiffer sidewall tires. I did notice today (first time driving around with all the windows down since the new parts were put on) that the slotted rotors do make a little bit of noise, it's a slight crackling sound that varies with wheel speed. It's not loud enough that you'd notice it unless you knew in advance, though.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the results and would recommend these parts to anyone looking to upgrade.
Sweet. I am happy to hear that your upgrade went well. I am really starting to feel like a brake upgrade on my jb5 5 lug rcsb is needed too. I'll be heavily considering parts similar to what you have used.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Already replaced it with the one I mentioned, thanks for the suggestion though. I'm aware of the AD244 swap but I really didn't need any extra output and the Suburban came with the wimpy 100A alternator so the 105A ACDelco was actually a small upgrade.
Ah ok. My little truck definitely didn't "need" it, but it's nice to have. Glad you knew you had the option.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah ok. My little truck definitely didn't "need" it, but it's nice to have. Glad you knew you had the option.

Just curious since you've done the swap, the only thing you need to change is the belt right? I read that a stock belt for one of these trucks with a 140A alternator setup will work.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just curious since you've done the swap, the only thing you need to change is the belt right? I read that a stock belt for one of these trucks with a 140A alternator setup will work.
I have a tbi truck so the connector is different. Cut off the old and put on the newer style one.

The bracket is slightly different. Ovaled out the bolt hole slightly closest to the block.

Instead of a longer belt which would work I decided to run an overdrive pulley. (Smaller)

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Now that I've waded through the entire thread.......

That's good info df2x4.

Couple things, the take away from the video on brake pad testing suggests that the OE pads were pretty good too. Over time I've found a lot of the OE parts on these trucks are the better bet, albeit more expensive up front.

Case in point, a buddy with a 99 K1500 Suburban left his list of ACDelco brake parts he was comparing and his wife thought she would buy him front and rears for his birthday. She went to the dealer without his knowledge and of course paid an exorbitant price for all new fronts and rears--pads, severe duty rotors, new calipers, drums, shoes, and hardware. I drove it and that 'burb stops better than any other brake components I've tried on either of my K1500 pickups.

The part numbers on RockAuto for the rotors (18A258SD ) and the pads (171599) are the same for my 96 and 97 trucks. The rotors have the "squiggly" slots in them. I have stayed away from slotted and/or drilled rotors because of the alleged strength issues, but may try these.